Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind of plastic for underpinnings/skid plate? (jay this ones for you)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of plastic for underpinnings/skid plate? (jay this ones for you)

and where do i get it in big enough sheets? im probably going to use a heat gun to mold it alittle so i can replace the stock stuff that was never on the car and i figure why not pan the rest to
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

polystyrene. Its cheap and light but somewhat frail. Its still hell of a lot better bang for buck than any other composite.

Most hardware stores will carry a sheet that's a tad to small. See if they'll special order you a large one. If not just use 2.
    **edit**
    actually if this is for full rally I'd just use aluminum.

When making our $400 "weekend" rally cars polysterene was easy to get, fairly cheap, and easy to make a one off piece out of. The ones I had on the accent and tercel held up fine for, lets just say a very long weekend,but some peoples didnt last the first day. It wouldn't last a season of abuse thats for sure. It would be great to make a template and then have one made of aluminum.

On a side note Hyundai's catch on fire very easily.
    Last edited by Kitty; 08-14-2008, 06:15 PM.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

That's what Jay uses. It's tough, comes in whatever size you want. I made a comment about it a while back, said he used a 4x8 sheet of 1/8 inch (I think?). I looked up prices, and could get the same for about $90+s/h. Cut it up, paste it where you want. Solid stuff I say.

John down in AZ uses metal, but he deals with sharp rocks instead of the soft gravel of the NW.

You can get the stuff in 1/16" sheets as well, say 12"x12" square. It's not going to break like the stock plastics will.
      No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

sweet!

thanks, they are mainly to smooth out the bottom of the car and keep out water and debris from florida's road during this time of year
        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

if the floor pan of our car was overall smoother i believe we could probably see a significant drop in the drag coefficient, as well as probably better MPG. adding in even the factory plastics is supposed to also help for the cooling effect of the engine bay.... if your lucky enough you can get some metal underbody trays from the AWD guys either here or overseas & bolt some of that on.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

you sure aren't getting my metal undertray! plus, I don't think it'll fit. mine's been "custom" bent to my frame
            No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Working...
            X