tach gauge cluster swap????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Syntax View Post
    Anyone change the colors from the stock pro green to something else? I'm thinking of getting a blue theme going inside my ride.
    ya i would'nt mind doin somethin like that either... i'm not a fan of the green
    My Cardomain page:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3208491 -->

Comment

Quote:
      Originally Posted by MazKid View Post
      I did one for my BF 323, and have done a few Honda clusters for friends and a '86 Camry for a friend. It's a matter of removing the speedometer from the cluster, then you have to pry between the numbers to unlock each number from the gear on the next number, then rotate as necessary. I think you can also just swap the speedometer from the non-tach cluster to the tach cluster - I've done that on a Civic cluster or 2.
      Originally posted by jwaxt200 View Post
      so in other words just unscrew the cluster and you can do it from there?

Remove gauge cluster from car. Don't forget dash panel screw around corner at far right behind cover. Door must be open for access. (Why did you put it there Mazda ?)
      To undo the speedo cable, you have to reach up behind and pinch the plastic latch and pull it off.

With the gauge cluster out of the car unscrew four screws at the top to open up the cluster separating black from white. Two are holding the metal bracket and two in plastic.

Carefully push up three black tabs at bottom to free the front lens. Careful pulling it over the trip odometer reset.

Now unscrew the speedo itself by undoing the two screws on either side of the cable mount and two smaller ones close by on the circuit board. One is a machine screw.

This frees the gauge itself. You can either swap the speedo with another or reset the odometer. IT"S NOT NECESSARY TO DISASSEMBLE THE GAUGE ANY FURTHER if you just want to reset the odometer.

Looking at the top of the odometer numbers, you'll see the drive gear and the dividers that are between the numbers.

Get a fine slot screwdriver and something with a point like an X-acto knife.

Start at the drive gear side. What you want to do is CAREFULLY put the screwdriver between the divider and the number wheel that you want to change and twist slightly. The number wheel moves away from that main drive gear. This should open up a little space (you'll see a small gear exposed that was inside the wheel), and you can then use the point of the X-acto to pull on the number wheel and turn it.

It's not like the number wheel gets released and freewheels. I found it's more like twist the screwdriver with your left hand, then GENTLY pull on the wheel with the X-acto point, try jiggling the screwdriver a bit, and the number wheel should click a notch. Keep doing this until the number reads what you want, then move over to the next wheel, remembering to put the screwdriver between the previous divider (the one closest to the main drive gear) and the wheel you're working on.

I just swapped a gauge cluster to get a tach, so I reset everything to 000000, as I just got the car, so any new miles will be mine. When the odometer face reads 000000, the numbers at the top where you are working will be 888888.

I don't think I forgot anything....

***EDIT- pic added***
      Now I am ready to install in my "new" 1990 323

Jay
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Saturna; 04-10-2009, 03:34 PM. Reason: Pic added

Comment

Awesome! thanx! i'll try that
        My Cardomain page:
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3208491 -->

Comment

Working...