1990 Protege bumper cover options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Protege bumper cover options

Greetings to all, long time reader, infrequent poster.

I am putting the 1990 LX back together (deer) and waited too long for new bumper covers. Rear is available for the LX but the only new for the front is for DX. Rear listings are for 1990-1994 LX (wider outlet for the twin tips on the muffler?) But the front listings are DX only for 1991-1994. Shipping is the killer and a local yard has a 1994 DX with front and rear covers in pretty good shape.

So the rear should go on with no problem (I can widen the slot for the twin pipes) but what is keeping the 1994 DX front bumper cover from going on my 1990? Different holes, slots, tabs? Different styrofoam behind the cover? Different fiberglass under-bumper? Insurmountable alignment issues? Visually different? What's up?

My thanks in advance.
    1990 Mazda Protege LX, owned since new

Front and rears are all the same IIRC
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

should fit right in. Only time there'd be fitment issues is doing hatchback to sedan rears.

Comment

And this is the difference between a catalog application and tribal knowledge. Thank you.
        It looked the same to me, the rear did appear to have a smaller cutout for the exhaust (easily fixed), but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't opening a can of worms for the front. It's a U-Pull yard, so I get all fasteners and whatever I need/want, but I just wanted to make sure.
        The really scary thing for me is since the donor is a 1994 and has a good hood, headlights, and grill...
        To put it in perspective I have just hung two new front fenders, hood, headlights, grille, turn indicators and I'm thinking about a used hood, headlights, and grille. I must have the fever!
        Thanks again.

Comment

I should have mentioned that also. Just dealing with sedans.
          And I had also converted over to the later tail-lights and fill panel in the rear. More attractive. Maybe this car is destined to be a 1994...

Comment

Thanks again for the help. I'm just back from Jalopy Jungle and found a 1993 LX I hadn't seen before and grabbed the bumpers off of it. And many extras. Now I don't have to modify the exhaust cut-out. Wrong color, but the whole car needs to be squirted so no biggie.
            I did decide to go with the 1993 grille to match my tail-lights. I like the 1994 grille but I have new headlights and a new hood and I would have ended up with a used hood and very used headlights. And a 1994 grille!!! Aargh!!

Comment

The insanity continues. After having the import crash parts hood and front fenders on for quite a while I went back to Jalopy Jungle and got the hood and fenders off the 1993 LX so now my front end is all white and the rear bumper is too. And I finally swapped out the well worn front inner door panels. Nice.
              And to stop my other temptation I helped a stranger pull the hood, lights, and grill off the 1994. He crashed, he needed them.
              And I still need to get the paint squirted...

Comment

Working...
              X