BJ seats in BG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJ seats in BG

Has anyone here tried this yet? Ive obtained a cheap set of MSP seats and they are quite a bit different as far as the seat rails and mounting locations.
    one of the front bolts is right where it needs to be which i am using as the base point the other front is about 2" too wide. The otter rear mount is close and can be made to work with a little cutting and the inner is completely different.

I knew this would not be a drop in affair nor simple im just curious if anyone has done this before and what their course of action was.

I did a search and it yielded no results worthwhile.

As it looks now, I should be able to gain at least an extra inch by swapping the outer rail mounts and having them re-welded since they will be facing the opposite direction. Doing this with elongating the holes slightly should give me enough room to get the front taken care of.
    As for the rear, I think I can cut the metal return off the bottom of the rail to make it sit nice and flat for the outer mount but the inner is going to have to be something very creative. The way it is now I think I can bolt it to the exhaust hump in the floor but i'm concerned that it will not have the integrity to maintain seat position in the event of a collision.
    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

maybe modify the stock brackets ????

Comment

have you checked the rail bolt spacing? not just the floor bolts?
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

The way the stock rails are designed vs the bj rails they are completely different as in no fkin way they will mount to the BJ seats. The BJ seats have an adjustable lower bolster which the gears and **** are all integrated into the seat rails.

I cut the outer mounts of both seats and swapped them. The front two mount up with "encouragement." I have yet to elongate the holes and I think it will fit better and slide better when I do. Also i'm probably going to need to get a vice so I can adjust the angle of the front two mounts slightly.

The rear mounts are a little further off than I initially thought when I test fitted the seat, I still think it can be made to work without cutting much.

Also, I completely forgot the automatic seat belt receiver mounts to the hump in the center so it will be stiff enough for me to feel confident in mounting the inner seat rail directly to it with a grade 8 nut/bolt.

I guess this will be turning into a how-to of some sort since im taking pictures of some of the stuff.

Side note, the BJ seatbelt receivers are different. I'm sure its a simple fix to swap the BG ones in.

Only 1.5 hours in and the first seat is less than half way installed.....
        Last edited by wheresthericego; 09-06-2010, 07:44 AM.
        I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

please post some pics!!!!!
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I want to see this happen, very interesting seat swap.

Try to post some pics, it would be good for the thread.

Comment

The driver's seat is completely in and bolted down with 3/4 of the stock mounting locations. The inner rear location needed to be drilled through the hump in the center since it was actually a part of the entire rail and completely different than the other three mounts.
              I have everything marked and need to trim one piece of metal to make it look better and then have them welded in place. Currently there are small bolts holding the little mounting perches to the rails through the convenient rivet holes.

Pics were taken with camera phone. The quality was not up to what I was expecting so i'll be taking more with my old point and fire.

Comment

Front inner perch did not need to be modded aside from changing the angle so it mated to the bg floor pan correctly. I cut the metal returns off and used a big pipe wrench to fine adjust it.
                I used a small bolt through the old rivet hole to hold the perch to the slider rail and keep it in position for welding.

The front outer perch needed to be cut off both seats and swapped to make the mount spacing narrower. It was also put on at an angle to further make up the distance. The BJ perches are about 2.5" wider than the bg in the front.

The outer rear perch needed to have the metal returns cut off the bottom to make it sit flat and I also cut them off both seats and swapped them so the angle would be correct when bolting them to the floor. I have noticed that the seat is slightly low in this corner and will probably get a longer bolt and a piece of 1" box steel to raise it up.

The rear inner perch is completely different. It is not riveted on to the slider but instead a part of it entirely. Cutting it off and swapping it I don't think is a good idea since the slider in this area seemed to have a lot of perforations and holes so I think it would lose a lot of integrity. Furthermore this is the closest perch to the seat belt receiver so I think it needs to be the strongest. I drilled through the floor pan and ran a bolt through for now. I will be changing it out with a grade 8 bolt and welding the nut to the chassis on the bottom so it is more permanent.

I am not a master fabricator or metal worker. This is the way I was able to get the seats to fit and it works for me. Once I'm done with the other seat they will be welded and the rails will be painted so it looks as clean as possible.

As far as I know i'm the only one with MSP seats in a BG so I win.

Last edited by wheresthericego; 09-06-2010, 01:46 PM.

Comment

looks real good nate, any pic of the headrest are? im curious if they lean like the mx3 seats
                  "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                  -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                  *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                  172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                  New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
                    looks real good nate, any pic of the headrest are? im curious if they lean like the mx3 seats
                    There is a leaning issue that I will need to address. The issue is in the rear outer corners where they seem to be lower than the rest. The odd thing about it tho is the passenger seat leans slightly more...

Comment

Last edited by wheresthericego; 09-06-2010, 03:33 PM.

Comment

nice work nate.

passenger side looks like they are trying to fall out the door.
                        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Well done!

Originally posted by D323 View Post
                          passenger side looks like they are trying to fall out the door.
                          I hope this photo is from testing step
                          sigpic
                          1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

Originally posted by labeo View Post
                            Well done!

I hope this photo is from testing step
                            Yep, it was taken after I bolted them in the first time. I have it nice and level and they feel great. Just took the 323 on a 6hr road trip and was no where near as sore as with the MX3 leather seats...

Comment

Want to sell the covers for the leathers?
                              2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
                              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Working...
                              X