X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so cooooooooooold

Hi, I got issue with 323.
    the heater doesnt heat a lot...

Most interior panels and carpet of the car have been removed... to save weight (or check were the rust is touching the car, more likely).

anyway now that we are in winter, it's very cold in the car.
    When i put the heater on, first it takes a really long time to heat (much longer than it takes for the car to be warmed up). And even when it's start heating, it's barely noticeable.

I think the different speed for the blower work (at least they sound like they work).

And another problem related I suppose, if I park the car lets say for a day, with the ventilation on speed 1 and directed on the windshield, when i get back to the car there is a lot of condensation on the windshield and the windows INSIDE the car. (I think if i direct the ventilation to the floor or to the driver, it doesn't do that, but i'm not fully sure).

Is it a known problem ?

Heater core been replace lately?
    Not What you build, But HOW.

Comment

Not 100% sure but i'd say no, never been changed...

Is it expensive and difficult to change ?

PS: why in the notice it is said that to remove the heater core, i first have to drain the engine coolant ? the coolant goes into the core ?
      Last edited by Grunswald; 01-06-2015, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Yes it does it actually is your heater inside the car. It uses the heat from your cooling system for your engine, Imagine if you will the radiator, placed behind your dash with a fan on it using it to heat the inside of your car. Essentially that is how it work just a small second "Radiator" called the heater core is your heater. What year is your vehicle and yes it will be difficult.
        Not What you build, But HOW.

Comment

It's a 1991 model. As I said earlier most of the interior is already removed, it should simplify the removal.

I think I'll wait hotter days to tear it apart , the heater and also the blower, I wonder if leafs or other thing are maybe clogging the system. I'll change the core at the same time.

Comment

You gotta pull the dashboard in order to achieve said heater core replacement have u tried flushing or back flushing the system
            sigpic

Comment

Removing the dashboard should be easy as it's almost the only piece of trimming that remain in the car...

I flushed the system this summer as I replaced my broken radiator.

What do you call back flushing ?

Comment

back flushing is to flow coolant in reverse through the heater core. just type in heater core flush in youtube and see how its done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD2LGkUycQg

Also just to clarify is your fan pushing air? There are 2 sides to the heating system, the coolant or liquid side. and then the air side. Is your fan pushing air? Easiest way is to tell is to set it on the front vents and feel the air coming out on all fan speeds.
                1993 Mazda Protege LX All stock with 121,000 Miles

Comment

back flushing is to flow coolant in reverse through the heater core. just type in heater core flush in youtube and see how its done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD2LGkUycQg

Also just to clarify is your fan pushing air? There are 2 sides to the heating system, the coolant or liquid side. and then the air side. Is your fan pushing air? Easiest way is to tell is to set it on the front vents and feel the air coming out on all fan speeds.

Comment

I'll look into it, it seems like a fun method . From what I remember the fan is between the radiator and the engine

Comment

I believe he is talking about the blower inside the cabin of the car
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah sorry, my girlfriend was talking to me at the same time... Well the fan Is definitely pushing. But I think he's not at 100% of its origin performance. And on 4th speed it's really noisy. I used to have even a leaf sometime passing through the vent... So I suppose that on the blower entry side it could be clogged... Maybe the fan has even some damaged blades...

Comment

Originally posted by Grunswald View Post
                          Oh yeah sorry, my girlfriend was talking to me at the same time... Well the fan Is definitely pushing. But I think he's not at 100% of its origin performance. And on 4th speed it's really noisy. I used to have even a leaf sometime passing through the vent... So I suppose that on the blower entry side it could be clogged... Maybe the fan has even some damaged blades...
                          Yes I was talking about your heater blower motor fan inside the cab. You need to diagnose what issue you have before you start trying to fix it. You either have no air movement, meaning the heater or AC fan does not blow much air. Warm up the car say on a 15-30 min drive. See this page http://www.carparts.com/classroom/coolingsystem.htm

Watch this as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7inC4lOpGs
                          Good guy to watch for a lot of videos to understand your car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcL_0TWeZJY

LEAVE THE CAR RUNNING AND PUT IT IN PARK. Put the air on the vents that point at you and turn the temp to the hottest setting. Now run the fan speed from 1-4. Hear / feel any change? It should increase the amount of air you have coming out of the vents.

If there is not much air regardless of temp then you have a fan problem.

Next is the air hot? Move the temp to cold let it sit for a minute or so and then move it back to hot. Did it change? If it doesn't change much and you don't have much heat then you have something going on with the heater core, aka small radiator behind your dash, or the cooling system. This could be the water pump, but doubtful unless your engine is overheating. It could also mean the thermostat. Does your car get up to operating temperature? How long does it take to get there?

Basically you want to see what is going on. Just take it step by step and you will figure it out.

PS removing all the insulation is not helping at all, in fact it will make it much much colder. Think about going outside in the middle of winter for a job without any clothes on

Comment

Ok i'll Check all this for sure removing the insulation will results in a car less insulated lol. It's no problem for 9-10 months in the year. For the rest of the year the Heater saouls be enough.

Comment

Working...
                            X