Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Design flaw with BG sedan power window system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design flaw with BG sedan power window system.

Short version, the BG 4 door uses the same 30 amp fuse as the 2door 323 and Miata for power windows, despite having 2 additional windows and drawing about ~37 amps of inrush on a non-ideal opening with all 4 windows firing at once. Every 4 door protege after the BG uses a 30A but larger sized slow blow fuse to prevent this issue. The cabin fuse box cannot accommodate any slow blow sized fuse. There are no ATC sized slow blow fuses.

Possible solutions
    Don't roll all 4 windows at once.
    Power half the windows from an unused cabin fuse. ("Belts" or "/" although the former would have always on windows)
    Run power from the engine fuse box with a slow blow fuse.

Non-Solutions
    Running a 35 amp fuse, it will still pop on occasion only a 15% increase in nominal wattage, relatively safe there
    Running a 40+ amp fuse, this is a 33% increase in nominal, while it won't pop on standard inrush issue it will risk system damage.

For reference I am running relatively brand new B revision power window switch and have moon greased all the tracks over the winter the driver side motor has been replaced in the last decade, it is about time to replaced the front passenger as it is the slowest of the group. But they all open/close rather quickly with the car running.
    Last edited by Kitty; 05-05-2021, 08:01 PM.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.
Working...
X