My Cabin filter retrofit tribulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Cabin filter retrofit tribulations

The BG is to the point I am just fixing nitpicks, and rough ends. I was trying to best pollen season this year and wanted to install a cabin filter in the stock air-box housing and have it be about a half an hour service to change. This,to me, means not having to remove the fan housing.

The clearance near the blend door does not offer any room for a filter, so jamming it up there with the fan removed is also out of the question. This left the area between the Evaporator box and the fan housing box. The EVAP box would provide adequate room if the box were, square, and didn't have expansion valve tubing making flat mounting impossible.

So the easy answer was the output of the fan going into the evap, because it was not tapered, and the material seemed much stiffer. Additionally if I botched hard enough, it is much easier to just remove the blower housing.

The scribbled measurements I have for the output is 6 1/8 x 3 3/8 x1"
    I do not recall why I measured it in standard.

The closest filter I found was a WIX filter 49093 7.13x3.61x0.8"
    I was going to order that filter, but it was made in china so I just bought the cheapest ebay filter. The interchange is a 2008-2012 Jeep Liberty or 2008-2011 Dodge Nitro.

You get 2 filters in a box for $8.
    You get to ruin one and not have to buy another.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9246.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	1275450

This is how the filter fits in the housing with out any modification.

Name:	IMG_9249.jpg
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	1275451

This is is trimmed down.

Name:	IMG_9253.jpg
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	1275452

This is it having the felt edges re-glued.

Name:	IMG_9267.jpg
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	1275453

This is it with the blower on high.

Name:	IMG_9271.jpg
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	1275454

Despite being a snug fit, it blew right out of the housing into the evap.

Name:	IMG_9274.jpg
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	1275455

I then just cut off about 1.5" of the fresh filter and jammed it in the housing. Using a flatblade screw driver to get it to spread into the corners and have decent pleat consistency.

Name:	IMG_9311.jpg
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	1275456

This is the filter 4 weeks later on my inspect and instillation polish, I would remove it to see how many particulates it has gathered, but removing the filter will destroy it, as can be seen by the small filter here.

Name:	IMG_9323.jpg
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	1275462

I then wrapped the connector with HVAC tape, which I have been doing for around a decade now to minimize leakage from the junction.

Name:	IMG_9316.jpg
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	1275457

Bonus protip, replace the left side trim bracket's hex bolt with a screw bolt so you don't have to wiggle a slimline wrench behind it.

Name:	IMG_9318.jpg
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	1275458

All closed up.

Name:	IMG_9319.jpg
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	1275459

Name:	IMG_9320.jpg
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	1275460

How it looks if you aren't running the trim piece under the dash. I am missing a blower box nut.

I'd recommend not doing this IN CAR, as I botched the cut a bit, and got impatient and now have a gash I will have to look at until the end of time. Here is how you should cut it outside of the car.

Name:	IMG_9314.jpg
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	1275461

The piece stays in place well with out tape or the metal band as long as the blower isn't on, the top tab doing most of the work.

The blower noise is much quieter now, you can actually hear the motor itself and not the squirrel cage save for when it is on setting 4. The airflow from the vents has taken a marginal hit, I would say setting 1 would now only be usable on a very temperate day. Setting 4 is still more air than you need,setting 2 will likely stay my go to.

I will likely pull this filter after the fall, when I do the usual leaf removal from the blower housing and Cowl.
    Last edited by Kitty; 05-05-2021, 07:59 PM.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.
Working...
X