Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i need opinions (maybe getting another 1stgen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i need opinions (maybe getting another 1stgen)

this is in terms of cost, labor and storage space:

do you think it's better to buy a new lx that is already 5spd and swap over my struts\springs, glass sunroof, and whatever else?

or to do a 5spd conversion and a new core support (bent up due to wreck) ... and a new windsheild... as of last friday (a giant crack all across the bottom just... appeared )

i've been thinking about this for awhile.. and i can't really figure it out.
    i'll have some extra money soon (inheritance... most of it's going towards property though) somewhere around a $4k spending limit for the car but it would be nice to find the most cost effective way of doing things...

if i don't buy another 1st gen, that gives me about 2k more for my current one, but if i do buy another one, i have a full parts car (though storage may be a problem) and i won't have any downtime when rebuilding the motor...

opinions? ideas?
    justin
    Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
    installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

buy a 2nd one already 5 spd with a bad motor... much cheaper
    91 Protege LX ---> cardomain site

91 protege lx: threw timing belt

88 323 se, mods: swapping in b6t, 70% complete, $150 takes it.

99.5 VW jetta 2.0

Comment

Buy a 5sp LX.
      2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

buy a 5 speed lx

no down time, no hassles...

Comment

buy another lx with a good 5-speed tranny and a good body and swap your stuff in it.

Comment

I'd swap the 5 speed into mine. I guess i'm just more sentimental about my cars though. Hell with 4 grand I could make mine awd and still have left over to redo the interior. And probably more.

Comment

yeah, i'm a bit sentimental about this car...

plus, LXs are hard to find around here for some reason, i'm mostly finding horrendously overpriced DXs.
              these cars bluebook for around $2000 in LX trim, and i'm finding DXs for like 2500 - 4250! (yeah, i doubt that one will sell)

though it would be a great learning experience to do a 5spd swap, and i'd probably save a little money (maybe not though, this car has some crash related problems i'd definitely need to fix) the no downtime factor though, is important. i can't really afford to be without a car, so chances are i'll just scour autotrader until i find another one...

too bad hardly anybody on this board lives in the Northwest.
              (there's redfox, but i doubt he'd be selling his car anytime soon)
              justin
              Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
              installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

Comment

You should buy the AWD pro that ol' dude is selling in CT for $650! For $4k you could buy it, have it shipped to you, swap all your good stuff in... and go turbo!

PROBLEM SOLVED!
                '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Working...
                X