92 323 cooling and A/C fan question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 323 cooling and A/C fan question

I drive a 92 323 manual, and I am very happy with it. It is all stock and mostly trouble-free. I have a question about the fans around the radiator (and condenser): when should they run?

There are two electric fans:
    1. larger fan with yellowish shroud (sits between the radiator and engine) that runs with the engine.
    2. smaller black fan in front of the condenser (between the condenser and the bumper/front grille). It never runs.

The car runs fine (does not overheat) but the AC is just so-so (I converted it to R134A hence I lost some efficiency there). I believe the smaller fan should run with the AC. How does it behave on your car?

I had a problem some 15 years ago when the larger fan seized (slowed down) and melted the wires. I replaced the fan and wires. Then some 5 years ago I replaced the relay for that fan - it would sometime fail to turn the fan off after turning off the ignition. It was a relay problem because it would stop when I tapped on it.

I *think* the two fans are controlled by two relays in the passenger (right) corner of the engine bay (right by the hood hinges, in black dust boots). The one closest to the passenger has 6 contacts; it controls the radiator fan (larger yellow shroud). The one next to it has 4 contacts, and I believe is called AC compressor relay, part H45067740 (based on the pictures). My compressor works (turns on when I enable AC) but the smaller black shrouded fan never runs. When I jump the fan (plug 12V into the contacts) it works - spins just fine.

How/when do your fans operate? Should I go after the relay or the fan? Is there a better way to troubleshoot the problem?

Thank you,
    dudlo

Smaller fan should run constantly with AC on. Larger fan is controled by one of the 17000 coolant temp sensors these cars have. If your only issue is with the AC, it's likely down to your small fan not running. There is a fuse for it in the engine bay fuse box labeled AD FAN. I'd start there.

Also, welcome.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Working...
    X