engine oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine oil

just a stupid question. I use 10W30 oil for my engine but the temperatures are a bit too cold so the car has trouble starting cause the oil gets thick. I have an oil leak and i have to add oil from time to time. I just want to know if it is harmfull for the engine or not to mix oils and add 5w30 which is more suitable to -30C temperatures. I use the chepest oil i can find that week since it leaks out anyways. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

forgot to mention that i want just to add the 5w30 oil to the 10w30 already inside without flushing the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by 323driver
      forgot to mention that i want just to add the 5w30 oil to the 10w30 already inside without flushing the engine.
      You can add 5W-30 to the 10W-30 that's already in your engine with no problems. I was going to say you ought to use synthetic oil to solve your cold-start problem but since you have an oil leak that's probably not a good idea.
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

thanks, that`s cool. On another note, does anybody know what is the difference between ATF Mercon lll auto tranny oil and ATF Mercon ll. in the Haines manual, they say to use Mercon ll oil for auto trannies but I have Mercon lll at home. Can I use it or i'de better off getting Mercon ll (to make sure, i have an auto). Also, in the repair manual, they say to change the tranny oil filter. Does anybody have a pic or description of that cause i have never seen one.
        Thanks

Comment

The Mercon III is fine to use. It's an improved version of the II. You won't have any problems with it. You can also use an ATF suitable for Dexron III and Mercon V. Sorry, I can't help you with the tranny filter on your car.

02 DX Millenium Red
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Thanks alot goldstar. That`s a lot of helpful info. I'll use Dexron lll oil when i change the oil next weekend. I`m not sure though if i have to change the pan gasket if I open the tranny oil pan. I guess i won't, it`s not leaking yet.

Comment

Working...
            X