Another Intkake Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Intkake Question...

Hey guys. Sorry about yet another intake question, I know there are at least a million post about it but the information I was searching for was gone in the as of late deleted "tech articles" link.

I was wondering with all of you who have Cold Air Intakes what you guys do with the other hoses that connect to the main intake hose.

I can tell there are about 3 small hoses coming out of the stock intake, one goes to the head, the other two go to underneath the throttle body. On most of your intakes the CAI is completely smooth with no other connection and a breather put in place to where the hose went to the head.

On a side note Im planning on getting one of those cheap ass Ebay air intake systems. Do they even fit, o are they worth the money?

Thanks
    1992 Mazda Protege DX Manual - 5/30/2006 R.I.P
    1992 Mazda Protege LX former Manual - 2/2/2010 Parts Donor
    1994 Mazda Protege LX Manual swap Daily Driver W.I.P.

http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28 ?
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

hey thanks for the link (there was also an article about a prototype engine i was also looking for).

But does anyone know or have advice on using and installing a "bomz" ebay air inake?
      Where do all those damn hoes go!?

Comment

give us a link to the one you want , then we can give you more info.

93' 5spd DX
        R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by protegebob
          give us a link to the one you want , then we can give you more info.
          similar to the one pictured here (some say an MAF adapter is included if you ask for it)

ebay "bomz" intake

Comment

The pipe that goes to the valve cover can be replaced with a "breather"
            cheap at most auto parts stores.
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

I know there have been some concerns with those type of kits because of the 90° turn at the end.

93' 5spd DX
              R.I.P

Comment

I am aware of the use of a breather (though I believe the bomz kit comes with a vacuum hose for that). The thing Im concerned with the most are the two hoses going underneath the throttle body. Im fairly sure that a breather wouldn't fit those openings and with the photos I seen on this sight of others installed, there doesn't seem to be any bother with them at all (though with some sacrafice to the idle i believe).
                What gives? What do i do if I purchase this item and i have to disconnect the hoses? Should I be concerned?

Thanks again for ll of your replies.

Comment

Don't get an intake with a friggin L at the end. Your stock intake will flow just as good. That L severely decreses air velocity... it creates a low pressure area on the inside trailing edge, actually creating a vacuum. Get yourself an MP3 intake, as long as it works (awaiting results from test done by other member).
                  1992 Mazda Protege DX
                  Tropical Emerald Metallic - limited mods

Click Here to visit my CarDomain page

Comment

Originally posted by AtmaEdge
                    (though with some sacrafice to the idle i believe).
                    What gives? What do i do if I purchase this item and i have to disconnect the hoses? Should I be concerned?.
                    Yes that is true, if you take off the hose on the TB you'll have some idle problems, and it can't be fixed with a breather. That is because the hose goes to your idle control valve, what it does is let enough metered air past your throttle blade to allow a smooth idle. The hose for that actually comes off of your h-box, and a lot of the experts on here will tell you to keep the hbox even with an intake.
                    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/bob1014/hbox**********

93' 5spd DX
                    R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by protegebob
                      Yes that is true, if you take off the hose on the TB you'll have some idle problems, and it can't be fixed with a breather. That is because the hose goes to your idle control valve, what it does is let enough metered air past your throttle blade to allow a smooth idle. The hose for that actually comes off of your h-box, and a lot of the experts on here will tell you to keep the hbox even with an intake.
                      [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/bob1014/hbox**********

OOOOHHHH!

Great, thanks again. I forgot all about that damn thing. Sweet.
                      I also remember the other guy who bought the MP3 intake for the first gen. Sounds like a good idea actually.

Comment

Working...
                      X