Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here. Introduction. And Maintance Issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here. Introduction. And Maintance Issues...

First off...

Hi, I'm James Nater. I'm new to the forums. I was surprised to find a site that had a 1st generation protege forum. Apparently the protege is a real sleeper I guess, I figured that after browsing around the forums for the past hour. I love cars and racing. I'm an avid skateboarder as well. Anyway, I grew up in Japan for about 7 years and was surrounded by the Drift and Touge scene and thats how I first got into cars. Because of that, I've grown to be more of a Nissan guy, but this Mazda has more go then I thought it would, so I was pretty psyched about that when I first got it.

This Black 1993 Mazda Protege LX is my first car. I bought it at a used car dealership about 3 months ago. I haven't had any problems with it until now. (Besides the clutch being a little sketchy, it tends to do what happens if you don't ease in the clutch at 1st gear {go stop go stop go stop, etc} in 2nd and 3rd gear sometimes if I slow down a bit or go over a tiny bump on the road keeping the rpms steady around 2500rpms). Also, I replaced the air filter one day and accidently tore the air intake hose... haha. So I sealed it up with Hot Glue and duct tape that thing shut. haha. (It's just temporary for now).

Now that I've pretty much set the stage, here's my problem; There's a coolant leak somewhere in my car, I can't seem to find where the leak is coming from. It drips alot between the oil pan and I think the water pump (I'll take a picture of it ASAP and post it here). Do any of you have any ideas of where the leak is coming from? And how can I stop/seal the leak properly? I'm still new with all this stuff as I've only driven cars fast and never really bothered to do the work myself; I always just brought cars (actually my friend's skyline in Japan) to a shop he always got over-charged for everything. I don't want that to happen to me, so I want to do it most of the work myself. I don't now how the leak started or anything because it happened after my dad took the car out one night...

So if you could give me any kind of input, it would be greatly appretiated. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jamesnater; 02-18-2006, 06:12 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
    1993 Mazda Protege LX: It's black, I drive it daily as an "eco-car". It has quite a bit of go, more than I thought a 1st gen protege would have. Came with a 1.8 DOHC Engine with NGK Spark Plugs and wires which was cool because I found out after I bought it. Has a semi-minor dent on the front right fender. Nothing too bad, paint is still shiney and everything. Overall good car. Completely Stock.

Welcome to the forum! I'm betting that your water pump is the culprit.
    I bet you've got some stories about Japan! Too bad you did'nt score some JDM Protege parts while you were there.
    Current-'08 MZ3 Hatch auto, '04 MZ3 Hatch 5-spd, '03 Pro-Lx 5 spd,
    '56 VW Cal Ragtop
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2285117/1

Comment

Thanks for the help. I was thinking that too. But I don't want to start taking things off to inspect that I don't need to to begin with. I need to know what exactly it is I'm looking for to fix before I go in and start messing with things.

And boy do I have JDM stories!! Those were some good times. Of course, I've never really been into the Protege while I was there, nor do I think it was called the protege there. I was more into Hachi Rokus, Mark IIs, 180SX, Silvia, FC, FD... just about any FR car in Japan... you get the idea. I was there because my dad's in the military and we were stationed there. I can fly round trip for $10 with military Space-A flights though... so I will definitely be travelling back and forth though. I'll look into gettin JDM stuff for the protege as well as all the nissan stuff I'm getting. Since I can't bring TOO BIG of stuff back, they'll all have to be somewhat small accessories like shift knobs, cup holders, badges, and maybe ONE FMIC and Ogura Clutch Kit for S13s. Whatever I can fit into a box... hah.
      Last edited by jamesnater; 02-18-2006, 07:20 PM.
      1993 Mazda Protege LX: It's black, I drive it daily as an "eco-car". It has quite a bit of go, more than I thought a 1st gen protege would have. Came with a 1.8 DOHC Engine with NGK Spark Plugs and wires which was cool because I found out after I bought it. Has a semi-minor dent on the front right fender. Nothing too bad, paint is still shiney and everything. Overall good car. Completely Stock.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesnater
        Thanks for the help. I was thinking that too. But I don't want to start taking things off to inspect that I don't need to to begin with. I need to know what exactly it is I'm looking for to fix before I go in and start messing with things.
        I understand, but a water leak is not something you wanna wait on till you're sure about where it's coming from. Judging by the antifreeze puddle location on the ground, it's one of 2 things; the water pump, or the rad hose. A water pump and/or rad hose is a ****load cheaper than another engine-no??
        Oh, and next time you go to Japan, I need a pair of those fancy-pants JDM folding mirrors!
        Current-'08 MZ3 Hatch auto, '04 MZ3 Hatch 5-spd, '03 Pro-Lx 5 spd,
        '56 VW Cal Ragtop
        www.cardomain.com/ride/2285117/1

Comment

I need a pair of those fancy-pants JDM folding mirrors!
          haha, sure, if I remember. What're protege's called in Japan? I never really looked into FWD cars while in Japan.

Oh and thanks for the info, I'll check up on it tomorrow morning. The only thing is I can't figure out where it's coming from, because I can't really see anything clear enough down there. I wanna find out whether to buy a new radiator hose or to get a new or used water pump tomorrow.
          Last edited by jamesnater; 02-18-2006, 09:40 PM.

Comment

more then likely your waterpump is in dire need of replacement. clean up the bottom engine & watch it for the souce of the leak.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by jamesnater
              haha, sure, if I remember. What're protege's called in Japan? I never really looked into FWD cars while in Japan.

Oh and thanks for the info, I'll check up on it tomorrow morning. The only thing is I can't figure out where it's coming from, because I can't really see anything clear enough down there. I wanna find out whether to buy a new radiator hose or to get a new or used water pump tomorrow.

323 or familia.

The GTX, GTR, infini are the rarer models that came with all of the good stuff that we all pay to import.

Welcome to the club.... more pics of the car are necessary
              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

its a water pump, get it replaced. My intake looks like that as well but I put electrical tape over the duct tape. The car is pretty rugged, you shoulden't have worry to much about it.

Comment

So I replaced the water pump... all better now! Shucks gave me the wrong one though, which sucked because it left me without a car for even longer because I had to wait to buy the DOHC one and return the SOHC they gave me.

Originally posted by Bill
                  I need a pair of those fancy-pants JDM folding mirrors!
                  Your Protege Mirrors don't already fold?

Comment

He's talking about the power folding ones.
                    If I have to buy stuff from an auto store like that I usually check the part numbers on their website before I actually go down there, so that I know I get the right part.

93' 5spd DX
                    R.I.P

Comment

Wow awesome, another WA person. If you need help with the car this summer hit me up (my friend here also has a protege and an s14).

Comment

Working...
                      X