No announcement yet.

Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the primary purpose for four wheel disk would be show purposes. I disc brake looks much nicer than a drum no matter how its painted.
    94' Mazda Protege'... trying to return it to former glory.

aim: zep867

Comment

i like them because i have them

Comment

the show element of 4 disks is a lot nicer. the rear drums do brake better, but i plan on a full KVR python brake package with 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears. ( 2 years till i have that kind of money)
        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
        So his engine he goosed
        With much too much boost,
        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
          the show element of 4 disks is a lot nicer. the rear drums do brake better,
          I'd have to disagree with that comment. OUR cars drums do better. Like I said look at the tiny surface area of the brake pad. Look at the tiny piston in the caliper.
          Is only slightly bigger than the size of the inner bore of a drum brake wheel cylinder.
          And the drum brake wheel cylinder has 2 pistons as opposed to one. However Most other cars have larger pistons in the caliper. I'm sure you know hydraulic principle well enough. Yes there is more surface area on drum brake shoes, but assuming you've got a decent sized (bigger than the one that we've got) piston in your caliper you will get more clamping force.
          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

two words:

traction limited

will this STUPID discussion ever end?
            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
            -93 MR2, 129 ES
            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

its possible.
              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

As mentioned, rear drums do have more stopping power. It has to do with the geometry of direction in which the frictional force is applied.

Disc brakes cool a lot better, which is why they are better for racing applications.

"Mazderati"
                91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
                Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
                Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
                AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

??? cooling. given the right knowlege you can cool anything. the 4 disk have the most _potential_ ie upgrade.

ok stock purposes, if you have rear drums keep them unless you are serious about racing. if you do upgrade to 4 disk, upgrade because you have plans for a bigger brakeing system. and yes your braking system is limited to the traction of your rubber. wheel lock up is wheel lock up no matter how much more force you apply. it is called force equlibrium. if sigma F of (m) = 0 then that is your brake point you exceed that hello lock up, and skidding.
                  When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                  Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                  Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                  So his engine he goosed
                  With much too much boost,
                  And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Working...
                  X