This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i finally get to post in this thread

changed valve cover gasket... upon taking off the valve cover i found the old gasket to be dry rot... you know like when rubber gets old and starts to crack? yea, the old one broke in 2

btw... the guy that was 'spotting' me, was spraying brake cleaner to clean it up a bit, and some got in the engine, he said it wouldn't harm the engine and that it would evaporate later on. is that true?
    Last edited by jamaican; 04-02-2006, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I cleaned up my engine bay a little bit, and painted my valve cover flat black...
      Attached Files
      Eat ****.

Comment

removed the complete sunroof assembly
        removed complete passive auto seatbelt assemblies

mocked up the roll cage to mark holes for drilling

Comment

did you weld a plate to cover the hole where the sunroof used to go darryl?
          Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by jamaican
            btw... the guy that was 'spotting' me, was spraying brake cleaner to clean it up a bit, and some got in the engine, he said it wouldn't harm the engine and that it would evaporate later on. is that true?
            What was he cleaning up, the valve cover gasket surface?

Instead of just spraying brake cleaner all over the place, the best thing to do is put a little on a rag and wipe the sealing surface until it is clean and oil free. It goes a lot farther that way.

But yes, brake cleaner evaporates. You just don't want to be washing the **** that the brake cleaner cleans into the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by 91ProtegeLX
              did you weld a plate to cover the hole where the sunroof used to go darryl?
              I'm going to fabricate some brackets and have them bolt to where the sunroof frame bolted to and just reuse the stock panel.

Comment

Drove to work and back. Nearly missed my turn, so I took a turn too fast, and lost the rear end on loose gravel. Mad driftin' y0!

1994 Mazda Protege DX - Automatic - 47K miles - AM/FM/Cass - 13" Hubcaps

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                  I'm going to fabricate some brackets and have them bolt to where the sunroof frame bolted to and just reuse the stock panel.

Cool idea....be sure to post up some pictures of that...Ive been contemplating removing mine, but the only way I could come up with was welding it....you give us all hope Darryl...ahahha!
                  Eat ****.

Comment

i'll have video and pics to document the build up from now on. I'll post up once i have some actual progess substantiated

Comment

Drove to the junkyard today. Raced an older Bonneville on the way, the diphead tried to pass me in the center lane the road the junkyard is off of, I downed it to 3rd at about 50 and ran up to about 80 or more. The guy then gets behind me and then next to me on the right, laughing. I just laughed back at him.
                      Drove through hellish rain and weather on the way home, and the car got hit by a few hail stones, prolly pea size or smaller, no damage.
                      Tuned the afm 2 clicks richer, seems to run ok. As always...
                      Got 2 Maxima hood struts which I hope I can retrofit to the Protege.

No exhaust tips yet.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                      On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                      My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by 92dx
                        Yeah, if you dont have a charchoal canister
                        I used an already threaded hole on the opposite side of the frame rail and a long ass bolt.
                        It is stout and dont move, but it just looks cramped in that area.
                        Show that pic so I can steal your idea..
                        Originally posted by MazKid
                        I'm waiting for the pic.

I originally was going to use a Honda overflow tank as they are smaller and mount with a bracket just about anywhere. I just never did it, I don't know why. But if you've got a better plan, do tell.
                        Here you go:
                        Last edited by Jho; 10-22-2006, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Nifty! I'll have to get some hose and try it. How is it secured there, bolts or something?

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                          On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                          My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
                            Nifty! I'll have to get some hose and try it. How is it secured there, bolts or something?
                            Two zipties. It's very secure too.
                            Last edited by Jho; 10-22-2006, 05:31 PM.

Comment

om more intrested in the fact i see you put a filter in line with your pcv hose good idea!
                              eat me

Comment

Originally posted by jacobrussell
                                om more intrested in the fact i see you put a filter in line with your pcv hose good idea!
                                I fail to see how thats a good idea, when that filter gets clogged with oil there will be trouble.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X