Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allow myself...

...to introduce myself.

I have a 94 DX and have been lurking at this site for a couple of weeks. Been getting lots of good info and have made a couple of minor repairs using information that I have gotten here. First off, you all have a great site here and a great community. Lots of good helpful folks and not much trolling or whining! Soooo...I feel like I have the bottom of the barrel, automatic SOHC...oh, it does have a tach! Yeah! Anyway, it's a great car, has about 140K and still runs good and doesn't burn oil. It was my dad's before he retired and he drove really conservatively and took good care of it. No rust, interior and body in good shape. No wrecks. I feel like it would be a good candidate for a BP swap with a G series tranny. I feel confident that I could do the work myself after accumulating a few tools. My eventual plan is to get a BP, rebuild it for more power (high performance cams, 11:1 pistons, 1mm overbore, 1mm oversized valves, solid lifters, yada yada, nothing too outlandish) and then swap it with the stock SOHC. Also, I am very interested in Megasquirt. I think engine control is what is really interesting me most right now. I am thinking of getting one and putting on the B8 for the hell of it just to play around with even though the limitations of the engine would make it more of a learning experience and less a performance gain.

Well, anyway, just thought I would say "Yo!" and I apologize in advance for all the stupid questions that I am sure to ask in the future. Maybe at some point I can answer some. I am a mechanical engineer and just getting into ICEs, so I have a lot to learn. Happy motoring!

welcome! pics or you'll be banned.

(even though it is just a dx )
    ClubProtege

Comment

Originally posted by cat34evr
      ...to introduce myself.

I have a 94 DX and have been lurking at this site for a couple of weeks. Been getting lots of good info and have made a couple of minor repairs using information that I have gotten here. First off, you all have a great site here and a great community. Lots of good helpful folks and not much trolling or whining! Soooo...I feel like I have the bottom of the barrel, automatic SOHC...oh, it does have a tach! Yeah! Anyway, it's a great car, has about 140K and still runs good and doesn't burn oil. It was my dad's before he retired and he drove really conservatively and took good care of it. No rust, interior and body in good shape. No wrecks. I feel like it would be a good candidate for a BP swap with a G series tranny. I feel confident that I could do the work myself after accumulating a few tools. My eventual plan is to get a BP, rebuild it for more power (high performance cams, 11:1 pistons, 1mm overbore, 1mm oversized valves, solid lifters, yada yada, nothing too outlandish) and then swap it with the stock SOHC. Also, I am very interested in Megasquirt. I think engine control is what is really interesting me most right now. I am thinking of getting one and putting on the B8 for the hell of it just to play around with even though the limitations of the engine would make it more of a learning experience and less a performance gain.

Well, anyway, just thought I would say "Yo!" and I apologize in advance for all the stupid questions that I am sure to ask in the future. Maybe at some point I can answer some. I am a mechanical engineer and just getting into ICEs, so I have a lot to learn. Happy motoring!
      Welcome to Club Protege.

Feel free to post pics of your ride.

It sounds like you are on the right track. We all asked stupid questions when we were young to the car and the site, so you're forgiven. We're all here to help, so ask away.

Comment

Originally posted by cat34evr
        I feel like I have the bottom of the barrel, automatic SOHC...oh, it does have a tach! Yeah!
        woot for the conveniece package.
        *tilt steering wheel
        *tach
        *fixed intermittent wipers
        *cup holders
        *trunk light
        *low fuel warning light

not quite bottom of the barrel dx....pretty close tho.

welcome.
        Last edited by 92dx; 06-03-2006, 11:54 AM.
        DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by Dixie94Pro
          welcome! pics or you'll be banned.

(even though it is just a dx )
          x2
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Dont feel bad I have an LX and no power windows and locks or cruise control or sunroof or oh wait a minute that would mean I would have a lighter LX than everyone else wooo hoooo I think ? Cup holders ?? Where !!
            c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by purewhitemp5
              Dont feel bad I have an LX and no power windows and locks or cruise control or sunroof or oh wait a minute that would mean I would have a lighter LX than everyone else wooo hoooo I think ? Cup holders ?? Where !!
              ......But you're being an extremely obese person cancels out the few lbs of weight saved by not having a loaded car.

Comment

pics or ban is in effect here

Comment

turn your interest in a Megasquirt into reality, please.
                  I build em cheap, and I need the dough
                  Ask me about engine management!

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                    ......But you're being an extremely obese person cancels out the few lbs of weight saved by not having a loaded car.
                    ??????????

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by purewhitemp5
                      ??????????
                      ..........A few weeks later.

Just making a funny, let it slide.

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                        ..........A few weeks later.

Just making a funny, let it slide.
                        HA HA

Comment

Welcome aboard
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                          X