A/C compressor noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C compressor noise

I just changed my a/c compressor on my 1993 protege LX because it makes a TICKING niose, but I already installed 4 compressor and all of them are making this noise. I also change the condenser, expansion valve & drier. I notice when the engine is cold the compressor works properly but when the engine is in normal operating temp. (1/2 of temp. gauge) the compressor starts to make noise but when I rev. the engine to around 4,000 rpm the noise is gone. We also cleaned all the a/c line just to be sure no leak or clog, the compressor has oil. Anybody has an idea about this problem. THANKS

Mine does the same thing, but it stops at 1500rpm. Someone said it was the bearing/s, but I really have no idea what it is.

Comment

mine does it at idle and stops a 1500 like was said above. i thought it was just cause of the hydrolic lifters what i read from a site some where and that it was somthing that these motors did. hell i could be way off i wish some one else would chimb in on this one
      stock blaze red 1992 Mazda Protege DX 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by madmax_2069
        mine does it at idle and stops a 1500 like was said above. i thought it was just cause of the hydrolic lifters what i read from a site some where and that it was somthing that these motors did. hell i could be way off i wish some one else would chimb in on this one
        A company called "BG" makes an oil that's called "frigi-quiet" or something like that. It works pretty good. Call around and see if any shops will sell you a bottle of it, it's in a 2 ounce white bottle.
        Current-'08 MZ3 Hatch auto, '04 MZ3 Hatch 5-spd, '03 Pro-Lx 5 spd,
        '56 VW Cal Ragtop
        www.cardomain.com/ride/2285117/1

Comment

Here's a link to show you what it looks like, the bottles are now blue it would appear....
          Current-'08 MZ3 Hatch auto, '04 MZ3 Hatch 5-spd, '03 Pro-Lx 5 spd,
          '56 VW Cal Ragtop
          www.cardomain.com/ride/2285117/1

Comment

Thanks guys I'll try to look for this oil & hope hope it will work since my a/c system is retrofitted R-12 to R-134 a.

Comment

I'm having the same clicking/ticking noise at idle with the AC on. Is this a death-knell for my compressor, or just a normal noise. I know my AC needs to be recharged, but if the compressor is getting ready to **** the bed, I'd rather just sell the car and get something else, preferrably with a stick shift.

Comment

Originally posted by bandman659
                I'm having the same clicking/ticking noise at idle with the AC on. Is this a death-knell for my compressor, or just a normal noise. I know my AC needs to be recharged, but if the compressor is getting ready to **** the bed, I'd rather just sell the car and get something else, preferrably with a stick shift.

No, it's not a normal noise.

Don't sell the car just because your A/C compressor blows up. Just remove the A/C, and do a MTX swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                  No, it's not a normal noise.

Don't sell the car just because your A/C compressor blows up. Just remove the A/C, and do a MTX swap.
                  Going without AC is out of the question.

I live in Georgia and my car gets boiling hot inside. I refuse to drive a car w/out AC simply because I'm not flogging the hell out of my car on the twisties every day. I commute in my car and just need it to work. If the AC goes out, I'll get a repair estimate and decide if it's too much to consider or if it's reasonable. If not, I'll unload the car and get a beater to last me.

I recently decided to abandon any ideas of mods and just keep the thing running well. I only plan to keep it another year or 18 months, so it doesn't have to last too much longer, although it is wearing well. I live in an apartment where I don't have room to work. I'm getting married in a year, so I don't need to be blowing money on making my car fast. Priorities

Speaking of abandoning mods, anyone in the southeast US wanna buy new in-box ZX2-R struts and H&R springs? I got them before I had time to do the swap, and just ran out of time and motivation. I'll deliver to your door step if your within one state of GA (FL, AL, TN, NC, SC, maybe VA, MS, or KY) for $350 all said and done.

Back on topic, I realize that the noise isn't exactly normal, but is it the last dying gasp, or is it just a little thing wrong?

Comment

Working...
                  X