Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A/c Woes, this is a tough one (long post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScOrTGtC
    the class was next to cossmetology (sp?) class so it was heaven...expet for the ones that swings..............

pahahhahahaha had to do some quality control eh?

Comment

Originally posted by sydewayz
      u took automotive classes? UF doesnt have those got dammit...!!!

I have an Associates in Automotive Technology.

Comment

does any one know what the high and low side pressures should be exactly on 93 protage DX and the pressure when the high and low are equal

Comment

Just so you know, you will be buying a new compressor, dryer, expantion valve, all new o-rings, hoses and more than likely a new condenser, to keep the system from leaking. All in all, you will be spending anywhere from 500.00 to over 1,000.00 just to get the ac running. I've been down that road before and in the end, the ac stoped working anyway, and the car died! LOL!

Comment

ac pressures vary with temperature both ambient and system... stick a thermometer in your center vent set your temp to low and the fan to low and turn on the a/c should be somewhere around 30 degrees colder than ambient air temp. but if it helps mine is 160 and 55 at 57 degrees ambient.
            mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

when you retro fit a car to 134a the whole system needs to be flushed with alchohol and compressed air(r12 and r134a oils are not copatable this step is crucial). a new reciever dryer and compressor should be installed. when you get the new compressor get a clean measuring cup (pyrex works great for this also get disposable plastic syringe) your new compressor should be pre loaded with oil. dump it out, dispose of it then flush the compressor .now into the cup pour the amount of 134a compatable oil into the cup to system requirements for oil capacity and split the oil up and add it to the system using the syringe.(try to spread the oil into different parts or system so you do not lock the compressor up) replace all the seals, vac the system for at least 1 hour (moisture in the air wreaks havoc with 134a, longer time = less mosture in system) to no less than 29" of mercury. when you charge the system use the low side port. Start with at least 1.5 pounds of 134a ,add more until temps from the vent are between 40-45f, (no 134a/oil pre mix too much oil will cause poor cooling) this should be enough to get your switches to work and the compressor spinning. readings should be between 60-125 on the low side and 190-225 on the high side but it may vary a little. your compressor should cycle roughly every 15-30 seconds depending on local conditions. If you have any problems from here consult a local repair facility.
              Last edited by benchracer01; 05-12-2007, 12:49 AM.
              This is our quest; as the tail lights fade into the distance let it not be the jeers of others that say we can not do what others have, but to let the whistle of the bov the whine of our turbo and the roar of our exhaust announce to those who may say it can not be done that we will not go quietly into the night we will not bow to mainstream but rather blow by them doing mach speed laughing our asses off and giving them the one sure sign( ) so that they will understand their place in life when it comes to doubting a driven individual who owns a Mazda BG with a boosted BP

Comment

or pay thru your ass and get some R12 cans off of ebay and then put it in ur system!

Comment

Freeze 12

For anyone who has not switched over to 134, you can mix Freeze 12 with R12 easily. You can buy it on ebay, cheap. Illegal as all crap buying it, but it works!
                  I just installed a new factory Panasonic compressor ($101 shipped on ebay) and dryer ($18 shipped on ebay) and am currently freezing my tail off in GA. I had some old R12 lying around ( Sorry Mr. Gore) so all I had in it was $120.

Comment

So do u have to put a new compressor and dryer for Freeze 12 as well?

Comment

R12

No, you don't need to replace anything if you have a very slow leak. It's compatible w/ any old R12 you have in the system. (we've got a MX-6 we add a can a year)

My Protege was leaking oil at the compressor. If you break open the system, it's a good idea to replace the receiver/dryer.

Comment

Working...
                      X