Got a 91 Protege today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a tached cluster, 6K redline and 285000Kms, and I got a clock

They have a 93 or 94 Protege there with a spoiler. Its slighty different from mine, atleast the 3rd brake light is. Its red.

I'll post some decent pics later tonight when my gf brings her camera over.

Comment

Ok, got the cluster in and everything works great except the temp gauge stays at max. Would the cluster be screwed or does it have something to do with the swap? The cluster came from a 93 or 94 Protege, would that make a difference?

Last edited by jasonh; 09-16-2006, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Better pics

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Originally posted by jasonh
          Ok, got the cluster in and everything works great except the temp gauge stays at max. Would the cluster be screwed or does it have something to do with the swap? The cluster came from a 93 or 94 Protege, would that make a difference?
          It doesn't make a difference. Could be a faulty temp guage.

Comment

needle may be offset manually. Take the plastic cover off and push it manually to C when the car is off. Does it still stick to H?

Comment

It goes down to C when the car is off. In the on position it shoots straight up to H.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comment

replace your A gauge sending sensor under the disty "12mm"
                or B your guage itself
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Yeah, it sounds like your temp guage sending unit has failed.

Comment

Where is the sending unit? On the thermostat housing? The gauge worked fine in the old cluster. Is it possible the sending unit differs from year to year?

Another question...how many keys should I have? I've only got 1 and it doesn't open the trunk. Not a big deal since I have that lever in the car, but...

Comment

Originally posted by jasonh
                      Where is the sending unit? On the thermostat housing? The gauge worked fine in the old cluster. Is it possible the sending unit differs from year to year?

Another question...how many keys should I have? I've only got 1 and it doesn't open the trunk. Not a big deal since I have that lever in the car, but...
                      The sending unit is underneath the distributor. I drew a red arrow to it. The water thermoswitch is in your thermostat housing. That controls your radiator fan.

I would have at least 2 keys. I have 3. I keep one in the house, one in my car, and one on my keychain. One of my keys opens both my doors and glove box, two of them only open my doors. The Protege trunk key lock commonly doesn't work. Just pop the trunk from inside the car.
                      Last edited by Jho; 10-22-2006, 05:53 PM.

Comment

what cluster were you using previously? are you running a SOHC with that cluster?
                        if so that'd be your issue
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Yes SOHC. I was using the non tached cluster previously. I think the new cluster came from a SOHC but I could be wrong. Though if it was from a DOHC it'd have a 7k rpm redline right?. Can I fix it with a new sender? I can always put an aftermarket temp gauge in front of it, I guess.

Comment

I just noticed tonight that the temp gauge works with the E brake on WTF As long as the "brake" light is on it works.

Comment

Working...
                            X