Yep I need more advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep I need more advice.

Ok so I've been noticing my motor getting louder on the top end. I poped the hood after starting it yesterday after work and heard quite a bit of ticking. Now its not that bad where I'm worried about driving it. Boosting it right now is out of the question for sure....well for now lol. I'm going to do a comp check this weekend(hopefully) to determine if I need a full rebuild.

I had a boost gauge hooked up to it to check vacuum and it was showing 18-19 vac. This was about 3 months ago though. I've heard anything over 15 meant the bottom end is solid, is this correct?

So if the comp check turns out good I can assume the lifters are **** and I can buy new ones cheap and proceed with my boost plans if the "tick" goes away. That's the 1st option

If the comp check turns out ****ty then I have to choose what to do. I can get a gtx motor complete or rebuild another bp and boost that after some time. Or I can rebuild a bp and slap some 10:1 pistons in there and just go n/a. Seeing as how fuel prices are going right now and the ****ty economy, I might want to stay n/a. I know with proper driving habits on a gtx setup I can get good mpg but I'd still have to pay the extra 20-30 cents a gal for 91. Not sure if I'd have to go as high of an octane for the 10:1 comp. Anyone know?

So here are my options:
    1-comp check good-replace lifters and go from there.
    2-rebuild head and try that
    3-gtx motor swap
    4-rebuild a jy bp then boost it in a matter of time
    5-rebuild a jy bp with 10:1 pistons and sell my turbo parts and stick to n/a

Anyone with knowledge,advice or suggestions please chime in.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

try running some seafoam in the oil on your next oil change and see what happens first

Comment

Yea I did that I think 7-8 months ago. Made the ticking go away but now its back and worse sounding so maybe that was just a band aid remedy.
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Check the lifters then if no luck.... option #3
        "There's Always 2 Sides to Everyone's Story".........
        That's Why I Only Tell My Side

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by unstable357 View Post
          Check the lifters then if no luck.... option #3
          I'm hoping that its just the lifters. I will run seafoam this weekend and do an oil change and then see. If nothing happens then I have to figure out what route. Just pisses me off cause the car looks great but now motor problems
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

I know right... But that really sounds like lifter problems

sigpic

Comment

If i didnt like you I would have said, put a gallon of oil in the engine that should quiet it down...lol

sigpic

Comment

are you running synthetic oil? Try that. Also, just boost the motor, 7psi will be just fine.

Comment

i say 5-rebuild a jy bp with 10:1 pistons and sell my turbo parts and stick to n/a and sell me what you have for boost
                  Check out the Pics
                  sigpic
                  http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
                  Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

Originally posted by unstable357 View Post
                    If i didnt like you I would have said, put a gallon of oil in the engine that should quiet it down...lol
                    thanks a lot

Originally posted by Lex View Post
                    are you running synthetic oil? Try that. Also, just boost the motor, 7psi will be just fine.
                    No synthetics anymore. 7psi isn't enough for me lol.

Originally posted by 90prtege View Post
                    i say 5-rebuild a jy bp with 10:1 pistons and sell my turbo parts and stick to n/a and sell me what you have for boost
                    Hahhaa. I bet you'd love that. Nice try
                    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post

Hahhaa. I bet you'd love that. Nice try
                      Hey cant blame a guy for trying LOL
                      Check out the Pics
                      sigpic
                      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
                      Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

I say ALL MOTOR with ITBs!!!! but you should just get miata pistons so you can run 87 octane...

Comment

Just diagnose the problem and go from there. Might just be a couple bummed out lifters. If it's a bad compression, see where it's leaking from, i.e. do a leak down test to see if its your valve seals or rings.

if it's your valve seals, find a spare head and rebuild it and open the ports up a bit for it to breathe, re-man your lifters and valves, and have fun.

Don't try anything til you find the problem.

JACK.
                          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

putting additives in is just a bandaid...
                            so be a man and figure out witch HLA's are fubar'ed and replace them...
                            or just get a J/Y bp05 and boost it ..they love the boost ..
                            or hell make a high comp boosted engine..
                            i would mix option 4 and 5 myself
                            GRIPtoLIVE........................................ .........
                            NA6C new track slut-NB8C waiting on parts
                            94 E36- RB20 swap -sold
                            93 323 budget track slut RIP
                            FEARLESS MOTORING..........................................

Comment

Advice.........

Okay the previous owner of my PRO either had the steering column swap or just replaced the ignition switch, either way I messed around and locked all the doors the other day and found out the hard way that the key didn't match the door locks, so I had to break into my own car(aint that a B**ch). Me and Ryan already talked about this but my dilemna is this....

A. Get each lock rekeyed to match my keys ($25 a lock)
                              B. Just buy a Power door lock kit and say screw it ($50 Shipped for a decent one)
                              C. Do both being that I'm about to put a remote start on.

Suggestions Thanks....

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X