Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok Gearheads!

A few questions....

I purchased the daisy Miata rims. They are 14" rims, a mere 1" off from the stock steelies I have now. Will placing these on my car give me the correct odometer reading, seeing as the circumference of these is greater than the 13" rims? Would you say it is worth adjusting if so? About how far off would it be?

Second, When I stop (even with a full tank of gas) my car cuts off sometimes. Is this an alternator problem?

Third, Other than a tune up and driving slower/more responsibly how could I increase my mpg? (get about 33 mpg driving about 55mph all the time)

Thank you all...

Use the miata.net tire calculator to figure out how much your speedometer will be off. With 185/60-14 tires, it should be perfect since that is the stock size that some Proteges came with. The speedometer is not adjustable.

I doubt it's the alternator causing your cut-off problem unless maybe the battery is bad too. Maybe it's just a matter of raising your idle?

33mpg is pretty good...

--Ferdi
    If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
    -----
    Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
    Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
    Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

You drive a manual? here's a possible solution to the dying....

worth a shot.
      No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Daisy?
        sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
        92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
          Daisy?
          I think those are the ones that came on the NA Miata (90-93).

--Ferdi
          Last edited by ftjandra; 12-25-2008, 09:20 PM.
          If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
          -----
          Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
          Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
          Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

almighty: could you post teh diagram that he is talking about? I dont feel like registering on the site...

Yes those are the "daisy" rims.

Comment

registering takes about 12 seconds. the more sites you are registered on, the more information you can get on your own, instead of being spoonfed..

--sarge

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff View Post
                registering takes about 12 seconds. the more sites you are registered on, the more information you can get on your own, instead of being spoonfed..

--sarge
                preach it my brotha!
                "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Huh, when I think "daisy" rims, I think those white ones with the yellow center caps that were all the rage on VW New Beetles...
                  sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                  92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff View Post

--sarge
                    whoa...relax...I signed up for this site because I didnt want to have to sign up for three or four sites. I'd rather be committed to one good forum that is solid and has a solid reputation for answers and helping. Thats why I feel that I dont need to sign up for others....unless there are other protege forums that are better than this one....

Comment

well maybe not better, but there is other info on other sites, and wouldn't you rather be able to just go click and find it instead of having to wait around for the info?

neways...this is the diagram
                      Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ftjandra View Post
                        I think those are the ones that came on the NA Miata (90-93).

--Ferdi
                        I have those on my daily LX and love them over the steelies. Much lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex View Post
                          I have those on my daily LX and love them over the steelies. Much lighter.
                          ditto.. my protege love it too =P
                          My Toys =D

Comment

Originally posted by diflictedminds View Post
                            whoa...relax...I signed up for this site because I didnt want to have to sign up for three or four sites. I'd rather be committed to one good forum that is solid and has a solid reputation for answers and helping. Thats why I feel that I dont need to sign up for others....unless there are other protege forums that are better than this one....
                            I am relaxed. Although, I should get the company to spring for a new chair, as this one is starting to get broken down, being 10 years or so old.

I wouldn't say that there are BETTER forums, but that each forum on its own doesn't have all the information that people look for, and some forums have more info about certain areas than others. Which is why your question was directed to another forum, which had an answer.

When getting medical treatments, it's often useful to get second opinions, and when getting estimates for car repair, you should go to several different places. When doing research, you should always corroborate your findings from multiple sources.

This is more of a rant on a recurring burgeoning trend than anything aimed at a specific person. You just happened to post this on a day when all sorts of things were diflicted.

It's just annoying to me to see a very specific link to a specific question given, and just because it's 'inconvenient' to sign up for another forum, another person has to spend their time to convey the information. To me, it's like calling your grandma to check out a book at the library for you, since she goes there every day anyway, but then having her drive 45 miles to your house to give you the book, when all along, you could've gone the five blocks to the library in your own town, gotten a library card for free, and checked the book out yourself.

But wait. In this day and age, perhaps making an analogy based on reading books is wasted....

--sarge

Comment

Good analogy Jordan.

Comment

Working...
                              X