A/C not as cool...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C not as cool...

Ok, I bought my car last August. I finally decided to recharge this past week. I bought a recharge kit from Envirosafe. It did make a difference than what it was. But I dont know how great the air conditioners where in these cars to begin with. The past few days it has been 90-95 degrees. When at idle the center vent temp is between 70-80 degrees and when traveling it CAN drop to 60 degrees. Just wondering if it should be cooling better than this or not.

Thanks
    Mods:
    Aesthetics:[MP3 Body Kit][DaveB Brushed Rings][Reverse Indiglo gauges][15% tint][Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs][Ebay Mazdaspeed Oil Cap][MAM Billet Lock Bezel]
    Audio & Electronics:[Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.25 Components][Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D Subs][Alpine 9815 HU][Kicker XS50][Kicker ZX460][Autopage RS850-LCD]
    Handling:[MP3 Racing Beat Springs][GT Spec Strut Bar]
    Performance:[Injen CAI clone][Megan Racing Catback][Megan Racing Short Shifter][KARTBOY shifter bushings][KARTBOY exhaust hangers][Weapon-R Engine Damper]

its normal for the air to not be as cool when at idle
    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Would tint help this issue?
      Mods:
      Aesthetics:[MP3 Body Kit][DaveB Brushed Rings][Reverse Indiglo gauges][15% tint][Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs][Ebay Mazdaspeed Oil Cap][MAM Billet Lock Bezel]
      Audio & Electronics:[Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.25 Components][Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D Subs][Alpine 9815 HU][Kicker XS50][Kicker ZX460][Autopage RS850-LCD]
      Performance:[Injen CAI clone][Megan Racing Catback][Megan Racing Short Shifter][KARTBOY shifter bushings][KARTBOY exhaust hangers][Weapon-R Engine Damper]

Comment

yea tint would help a bit but not too much. It is possible that you need a recharge on the system. It sounds like its almost like its not on when your at idle
        I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Tint will help your car stay cooler inside, but won't make your A/C blow cooler.

When the car isn't moving, you don't have any on coming air coming through the condenser which is going to make the air blowing through the vents less cool, but not 70 degrees. Even 60 degrees is warm for A/C.

Comment

The air from your vents at idle should be around 65 degrees. Is the aux. fan coming on when you switch on the a/c? Is the condenser free of dirt and squashed bugs?
            c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Ok, I went outside to check the condenser fan and only when you give the car gas is when it kicks on, if you are at an idle, it shuts off.
              Mods:

Comment

That does not look normal. Can you all so tell us what is the ambient temperature and the low and high side pressures and the inside temp. http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34850
                Last edited by ivan15; 07-06-2008, 04:56 AM.

Comment

The condensor is supposed to be on at all times the ac compressor is on

Comment

Do you mean the condenser fan??????

Comment

The condenser fan cycles with the compressor.
                      Roads? Where we are going we don't need roads...

Comment

My condensor fan runs constantly when I push the A/C button. It does not cycle with the compressor.

Mine gets warm at idle too. I'm running R-134a with a new drier and correct oil. The system got vacuumed first then charged with 1 lb 6 oz of refrigerant.

At highway speed it's amazing. I've actually frozen things in the cabin with it.
                        1990 Protege 4WD
                        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                        ├┼┤
                        2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

As posted above, check the condenser for any sludge build up. But since you indicated that the condenser fan isn't running at idle, only when you rev the engine, it may still need more refrigerant or it's leaking slowly. To be sure, check the pressures of the system. Also, if the system was a long time without refrigerant, it's likely that the accumulator/filter is too dirty. Change it if possible, along with the pressure switch.
                          sigpic My cardomain

Comment

i know in my merc ( ugh) the ac will get turned off @ certain times ... eg: off for 20 sec when taking off from a stop, off when 1st coming to a stop for 10 sec ect ... there is a whole list of times it's turned off by the ecu ....idk if mazda does the same ... more likely you just arent turning the ac compressor fast enough to keep pressures up and as soon as the revs come up you get full cooling again ... is your idle dropping too low ... is the aic bringing the idle up for you when the ac is on ?( you should see the idle jump up a cpl hundred rpm as soon as the compressor is turned on

Comment

Working...
                            X