coolant issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant issue

bout 2 hours ago i was mounting my snow tires and decided to check the anti freeze .. winter is just around the corner.. i removed the cap off the overflow container and the coolant was black and stringy . so i checked the rad .. eeewwwwwww. the same thing . seems kinda funny that in feb of this year i replaced the rad, water pump , t belt and the thermostat . flushed the entire system including the heater core. it was ugly..... i used delco anti freeze mixed 60/40 so it was good for minus 50... as of today its good for - 5. what gives????? could it be due to the mix?? or the water i used ??? im kinda lost as to an answer... can anyone help me out ???? thanks in advance...

Black and stringy? Is it oil? If so then that's not good.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

yeah,if its muddy itcould be rust that built up in your system,that happens, ut blackand stringy sounds pretty weird. Do you have any pics that could give us a good idea?
      Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
      sigpic

Comment

coolant issue...

i keep an eye on my oil status . its not contaminated at all . havent had to add any or over filled . ill rattle off a few pics tomorrow . i talked to my parts guy today n he said it could be water contamination... our shop used to be a gas station and one of the tanks ruptured quite a few years ago . it contaminated the well we are on for water. and thats what i used to mix my anti freeze for the 323...

Comment

If your oil is good and theres no chocolate shake, then it might be rust and dirt build up from over the years. Even the manufacturers say that you suppose to flush your system every year; know one really pays a attention and does. It might need another flush and pressure check the system, and possible clean out your over flow tank also.

Comment

if thats it flush it a few times before ruining more coolant. I flushed twice with water, then refilled with water and ran it for a week, then flushed again and filled with mix. Course its kinda cold to be running straight water these days

Nick

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tireboy View Post
              i keep an eye on my oil status . its not contaminated at all . havent had to add any or over filled . ill rattle off a few pics tomorrow . i talked to my parts guy today n he said it could be water contamination... our shop used to be a gas station and one of the tanks ruptured quite a few years ago . it contaminated the well we are on for water. and thats what i used to mix my anti freeze for the 323...
              You're suposed to run distilled water in the coolant system.
              Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
              kitty, you are a hilarious woman
              Originally posted by HopelessCow
              there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
              Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

yeah...where do you find distilled water?

For sure distilled water is thr best, but if you don't have hard water, aka well water, or water with lots of deposits in it you can use it. It won't be as awesome as distilled but wth, I doubt anybody'll die from it.
                But yeah, contaminated well water could very well be the cause of your crappy rad coolant, do a massive flush with some rad flush product, and then try again...this time not using contaminated well water

Nick
                Last edited by jumpncrash; 10-23-2008, 10:47 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jumpncrash View Post
                  yeah...where do you find distilled water?

For sure distilled water is thr best, but if you don't have hard water, aka well water, or water with lots of deposits in it you can use it. It won't be as awesome as distilled but wth, I doubt anybody'll die from it.
                  But yeah, contaminated well water could very well be the cause of your crappy rad coolant, do a massive flush with some rad flush product, and then try again...this time not using contaminated well water

Nick
                  The store. Any of them. Its a dollar a gallon.
                  Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                  Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

really...?

now I feel stupid...I'll have to look next time, we're talking distilled water here, not just spring water or some other bottled water right.

Nick

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jumpncrash View Post
                      really...?

now I feel stupid...I'll have to look next time, we're talking distilled water here, not just spring water or some other bottled water right.

Nick
                      You shouldn't drink distilled water as it will drain nutrients from your body.

And to prevent any other questions.

Distilled water has virtually all of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container, leaving nearly all of the solid contaminants behind.

Distilled or deionized water are commonly used to top up lead acid batteries used in cars and trucks. The presence of foreign ions commonly found in tap water will cause a drastic reduction in an automobile's battery lifespan.

Distilled or deionized water is preferable to tap water for use in automotive cooling systems. The minerals and ions typically found in tap water can be corrosive to internal engine components, and can cause a more rapid depletion of the anti-corrosion additives found in most antifreeze formulations
                      Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

That delco antifreeze is ****e and you cannot mix it with green coolant.The combination of the two will turn to ****e.
                        I realize you flushed the system when doing all the work earlier but is it possible some green was left in the block?
                        On another note look for bubbles in coolant while its running to see if any combustion is getting into the coolant.