air conditioning problems....egi relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air conditioning problems....egi relay?

ok I have a 1990 protege 4wd with the 1.8L L4 SOHC I just recharged the a/c with freeze 12 and it's blowing full force and cold as hell, I've had the pressure checked by a mechanic so I know that it's not overcharged. With the air conditioning running on any setting when I stop and the engine goes to idle it dies, sometimes it happens the first time i stop other times i'll make it several miles before this starts. The mechanic suspects that it's the idle up circuit and his resources say that it's integrated into the computer which is 1275 dollars but apparently there is an egi relay that would tie into that circuit which neither of us can find and there may possibly be a solenoid that activates the idle up circuit can someone enlighten me as to the location of the relay and let me know if there is a solenoid or not. Maybe i'm looking for it incorrectly but i don't even see it in chiltons.

when the car is idling turn the blower on to any setting, then hit the a/c button. If it raises the idle when the light is on then thats not the problem. I've got a complete A/c delete in my car and my idle will still go up if i hit the A/c button. there are 2 a/c relays on the passenger side of the engine bay behind the strut tower, might check those too.
    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
    VF10 powered!
    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

thank you for the advice, i have time before i go to work and i'm going to go check that now

Comment

ok definitely not the idle up I'm assuming the AC relays are the 2 cooling fan relays they're the only ones that are labeled as anything having to do with air conditioning the 30amp one looks like it could be burned but not popped going to replace both

Comment

ok so I've replaced both relays and it's still stalling on me. My car isn't vibrating when i stop but I'm forced to explore the possibility that my car is idling low so that even with the idle up circuit working correctly the engine isn't turning fast enough to support the compressor and itself. Is this a possibility? I'm also wondering because i've had this issue with other systems like the headlights if it could be a bad ground to the compressor that's shorting when I press the brakes but I think this is highly unlikely and I'm really just throwing it out there to see if anyone has had either one as an issue with the bg's

Comment

what does it idle at when the a/c is off? You could always raise it a bit using the screw on the TB
            -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
            VF10 powered!
            262 Whp & 257 Wtq
            13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

In that process now no tach so I'm not sure of real numbers

Comment

Working...
              X