Muffler inlet demisions ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler inlet demisions ???

Ok guys i have a mazda protege that has 187000 miles on it and the muffler just came off. I am wondering what the dimensions of the muffler inlet section is coming from the pipe everything is stock in this car. I am trying to spend the least amount of money on this so I was thinking of getting a universal muffler and clamping it to the pipe that is already there without welding anyone have any suggestions ?

Do you have the old muffler? If not, just measure the pipe.

Many after market outlets offer a application menu. You put in the year and make of your car and they'll send you something that's supposed to fit.

You can just talk to the parts house and ask what your options are. They can be really helpful sometimes.

If your muffler fell off, you might have additional problems, like a rusted out system. Do you plan to install the new equipment? If so, then you should crawl under there and inspect everything and make sure simply replacing the muffler will fix what needs done. If you're going to take it in to a shop, then maybe having them inspect if for you would be a good idea. Be warned though, in my experience muffler shops aren't shy about charging the crap out of you.

Good luck.
    Last edited by 1st Gen; 10-09-2010, 09:04 PM.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Well that's the thing I called a shop and they told me that it would be 240 bucks to me that's a little to much for this car. I checked it's right where the muffler connects that it disconnected the pipe is about 1 year old. But I will go to a parts house and ask what size will fit. I just don't if doing it would be possible to do without welding.

Comment

iirc ~1 7/8"
        Original owner: 1991 Protege LX (now w/SOHC) and a few more BG's ....

Comment

Ok guys thanks guys I will probably work on this today and see what I can do so I dont have to pay that much for a muffler let u known how it goes

Comment

if youre just going to get a muffler and clamp it on the pipe, its probably just going to fall off in a month anyways. Go get that junk welded and quit being cheap
            I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
            |.....Overnight....................| ||
            |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
            |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
            "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
            Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

When my tail pipe rusted out back when, I went to a j/y and bought a whole tail piece. It bolts up right before the rear tire and you can pull out the muffler and everything. Bolt that up to your car and your good.
              1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
              1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
              2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
              1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

It's not that I am being cheap I just don't want to spend time, effort, or big bucks on a car that has 192000 miles. This work I can do myself plus I installed the muffler and it's all good and I only spend 58 bucks in total we are in a recession gotta save money Thanks to everyone that helped

Comment

Working...
                X