Random death 92 323 - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random death 92 323 - HELP

My 19YO daughter has my 323 in Mass., 500 miles away from me in PA. It is randomly dieing. I'm a lifelong British car mech, so I can do stuff but am not really up on the modern electrocrap.

Bought at 102,000 6 years ago, now about 145,000. It used to stagger a bit on a hard pull, but some hard driving fixed that - my feeling was that the MAF unit was sticky. Since then it has had a trick of loosing power momentarily when you slow down quickly, then accelerating - a strong hesitation about a half sec after you get back on the gas. Occasionally the Check Engine light will flash as it coughs - this on the bigger hesitations. This can happen at random intervals - not for months, then several times in a couple of days. Or twice a day for a week, then fine for weeks again. I had it actually stall once about two years ago,and she had same last May, again after a quick slow down. It seemed to be most common if the car was being used in town traffic a lot, and got better if run hard or on open road.
    It ran fine all summer until a couple of days ago, when it started doing it repeatedly. She says it died 4 or 5 times yesterday: CEL would come on after it stalled, but it started right up after a few minutes or a few tries, light went out. Same today, except where it has run perfectly after restarting, today it coughed and sputtered up a hill, then died again. Subsequently it has started and run fine for a few hundred yards several times. It always acts like it is not getting fuel.

I have a 90 323 Auto w/ a dead gearbox here, ran fine. And a couple of LX, that I could cannibalize for spares, and my 94DX daily driver. Question being, what should I take on what looks like a 500 mile each way road call? Trying to coach a 19YO via phone for diagnostics is painful!

THX, Fletcher

bring
    maf
    o2 sensor
    distributor
    distributor cap and rotor
    plugs and wires.

and if you feel really up to it check the injectors and bring spares.

when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

i found when mine acted like this it was my ignition system. all real easy to change out. 15 minutes or so.

Originally posted by minnesotapj
    Cost of your fancy German built sports car $35k
    price of your fancy sun glasses to match your German built sports car $200 dollars
    Getting beat by a second hand 20 year old Japanese 4 door... Priceless!
    The only bummer about the world ending is that you can't turn to the person next to you and say "WOW! Did you see THAT?!!"
    *1. 85 accord hatch r.i.p. *2. 87 chevy s-10 r.i.p. *3. 91 dodge daytona r.i.p. *4. 91 labaron r.i.p. *5. 91 mazda 323..sold *6. 89 silverado sold *7. 94 mazda protege ...in the works...

Comment

OK thanks.
      There seem to be a bewildering number of distributors, mostly pricey for remans. Are these things interchangeable?
      And when you say you changed "the ignition" what did you actually change? Besides the distributor, there seems to be an ignition module, coil, and the cap & wires.
      Fuel filter could be a problem now, but it runs perfectly at high speed/load, and it has done this since the filter was new.

FRM

Comment

if its a 323 with a b6 engine then i think you can use 1 off a b8. they look similar to me. but dont quote me on that.

ignition system ie. distributor, cap, rotor, plugs ,wires.

now that i re read your post.... im thinking that it is intermitant issue.... check the vac lines and intake tube they luv to crack. there is another hose under the intake tube.

bring the spares non the less but check the vac lines out first.

price of your fancy sun glasses to match your German built sports car $200 dollars
        The only bummer about the world ending is that you can't turn to the person next to you and say "WOW! Did you see THAT?!!"
        *1. 85 accord hatch r.i.p. *2. 87 chevy s-10 r.i.p. *3. 91 dodge daytona r.i.p. *4. 91 labaron r.i.p. *5. 91 mazda 323..sold *6. 89 silverado sold *7. 94 mazda protege ...in the works...

Comment

Yes, well it is certainly intermittent, over 5 or 6 years, though the current problem might be "reliable". At least until last winter, there were no cracks or vac leaks.
          It is a 323 B6 stick.
          Does anybody know exactly where the "circuit opening relay (90-92)" later called the "fuel pump relay(92-94)" is? This is not the one (EFI main relay) under the hood in the fuse/relay box. I have two books that give uncertain & contradictory descriptions of it being inside the car someplace.

Comment

its next to the ecu....
            323 log-http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44611

Comment

where abouts in mass?

94 Pro LX- 3-hole. Familia seats, Infini Corners, Familia Grille, Familia Rear Garnish w/Rear fogs EDM Glass headlights,
              MSP Mazdaspeed Muffler,Mazdaspeed front strut bar,'00 Pro ES wheels, Neuspeed Springs,GR2s, MX3 wheel, MX3 Tall armrest

Comment

Thanks!
                Nice looking 323 there, and it's not red, like both of mine.

FRM

Comment

Mine's in S Hadley/Springfield.

FRM

Comment

Im in Windsor CT, 20 mins out of spfld. Maybe I could check it out and save you the 1000 mile trip?

94 Pro LX- 3-hole. Familia seats, Infini Corners, Familia Grille, Familia Rear Garnish w/Rear fogs EDM Glass headlights,
                    MSP Mazdaspeed Muffler,Mazdaspeed front strut bar,'00 Pro ES wheels, Neuspeed Springs,GR2s, MX3 wheel, MX3 Tall armrest

Comment

I may have been reprieved temporarily. On Wed she got the car running and drove around, was low on gas so she filled it, then it died. I told her to get some fuel system cleaner and drive around to slosh it and get the cleaner through the system, which she did, then it died for real. Couldn't do anything yesterday, but today it lit right up and drives fine around school. So maybe she got a load of water, though it still doesn't answer the long term problem.
                      If they hadn't put the filter in such a stupid position, she could change it, but she is not mechanical and has no tools.
                      Many thanks to all for help, will keep updated.
                      Now I will see if I can figure out how to PM C91EGT!

FRM

Comment

click his name and box will pop up with options

Comment

So now on Sunday, it appears to be completely dead again. Might be fuel pump time, so I'll fix it in three weeks when I have to go up there anyhow,

Special thanks to CaymenEGT91, a real goodguy!

FRM

Comment

Got daughter to pull codes. Got an 02, so might need a distributor. Does anybody know if B6 and B8 dist are interchangeable? BP are different. They seem to have different numbers by the aftermarket people; Mazda of course stamped the numbers on the bottom side so you can't see it without taking it out.
                            B6 shows as T2T52471, B8 as T2T53171; both are optical, or Hall effect if there is a B after the number.
                            I am assuming that Optical & Hall are interchangeable as a unit, yes?
                            THX
                            FRM

Comment

mazda 323 and ford festiva are the same. so b6 only.
                              b8 is different from what i found. if you want to find interchangeability go to car-part. com . it is pretty accurate.

Comment

Working...
                              X