Timing Belt/WP Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Belt/WP Question

Hello, I have a 94 with the 1.8 DOHC and I just started taking it apart to put on a new water pump. I have taken off the covers and wp pulley and loosened the alt/drive belt. This is as far as I want to go before I ask some questions. Does the valve cover gaskets have to come off? Does the engine have to be at top dead center to begin before the timing belt comes off? Or is that just to use as a reference for when I get ready to put in back on? thanks in advance, guys

no
    it makes life easier to have the crank/cams at TDC
    sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Nah, the V-cover doesnt have to come off & it meanwhile it would be easier to have em both lined up its not the end of the world if you dont...(Non interference motors...Hooray mazda) I didnt line mine up till after I got the belt off & it went back together just fine *(been wrenching 10yrs so Ive done this alota times) haha.

Oh & while youre there it wouldnt hurt to buy & install a new timing belt if yours is due or close to it so you can kill 2 ducks w/ 1 shot.

Comment

This might help.
        The crank is at TDC here as shown by the notch. The notches on the cam sprockets line up with the marks on the back plate. It's kind of hard to see but you'll be able to tell when you get it apart.
        Attached Files
        1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
        1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
        2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
        1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Working...
        X