Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I failed to salvage a speedometer cable in my 94 LX. Now I need to find a replacement.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
      Today I failed to salvage a speedometer cable in my 94 LX. Now I need to find a replacement.
      I bought mine brand new from Mazda.

OEM Mazda parts from Jim Ellis Mazda Parts in Marietta, GA. Choose genuine Mazda parts for genuine Mazda performance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      My car is a Vazondissan. Part Nissan. Part Mazda. Part Ford. Part VW. Part Honda.

1993 Protege - DX with LX upgrades. Still rockin' the SOHC. Custom HID headlight Retrofit.

2009 Mazda 3 - Finacee Car. No power nothing. About to trade in for a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport.

Install Shifter Bushings: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...491#post646491

Custom HID's: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...&highlight=hid

Comment

ironically i need one too. got an easy part number for us?
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Guess I should mention I got my 94 LX back... I sold it many years ago to a buddy, and he decided he didn't need it anymore. So he gave it back to me a few weeks ago. I was surprised, to say the least.

It's been well maintained. Burns oil on cold start, but it was already doing that when I owned it before. Speedometer cable broke right at 317000. It needs rear struts urgently. Only other issue is rust. I'll try to get some pictures up soon. And update my sig.
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Comment

^ anxious to see how it looks at 317k+
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
              ironically i need one too. got an easy part number for us?
              From my build log;

My car is a Vazondissan. Part Nissan. Part Mazda. Part Ford. Part VW. Part Honda.

1993 Protege - DX with LX upgrades. Still rockin' the SOHC. Custom HID headlight Retrofit.

2009 Mazda 3 - Finacee Car. No power nothing. About to trade in for a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport.

Comment

My timing belt broke on the way to work on monday. I'm a little rusty... What are some of the tricks for gaining clearance to change it in the car? I think it's worse than I remember because it's taken hit to the FR corner since I owned it. I can't get to the PS pivot bolt at all.

N00b questions, yay!
                1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                ├┼┤
                2 4 R

Comment

unbolt the passenger motor mount, use a jack on the oil pan to give yourself more room where you need it

easy breezy
                  sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                  92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

My timing belt broke on the way to work on monday. I'm a little rusty... What are some of the tricks for gaining clearance to change it in the car? I think it's worse than I remember because it's taken hit to the FR corner since I owned it. I can't get to the PS pivot bolt at all.

N00b questions, yay!
                    Get to the ps pivot bolt and tensioner bolt from the bottom. You can get a short socket on it. I just replaced both my belt last week.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Today after work I removed the drivebelts, removed the crankshaft and waterpump pullies, fished out the old belt, and removed the timing covers.

Here is a picture of the belt.
                      Attached Files
                      1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                      ├┼┤
                      2 4 R

Comment

This is what I found sitting on top of the crankshaft sprocket.

It's one of the four bolts that holds the cam sprocket backplate on, and it's the second one to come loose and wreck a timing belt on this engine.
                        Attached Files
                        1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                        ├┼┤
                        2 4 R

Comment

^ thats the # 1 reason why i pull the timing cover backing plate on all my BP engines

Comment

that is why I invest in locate :D

Sometimes its wise to see where the manual is missing stuff and go the extra step. The $10-$20 for some red and blue locate have made work on cars so much nicer.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to locktite the remaining two for sure.
                              1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                              ├┼┤
                              2 4 R

Comment

Pulled the Driver side rear door panel to fix the "rear door not locking/unlocking proper and going to get all my **** stolen issue"

While I was in there also cleaned and greased the motor assembly and moon greased the the window track.

Need to do the passenger sides.

Tried to fire the down on a 0 second mark every time.
                                Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                                kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                                Originally posted by HopelessCow
                                there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                                Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Working...
                                X