X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to a rallycross on saturday.
    Attached Files
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Corrected factory backward AC fan polarity and added one can of R134a. Compressor is silent now and cabin gets cold at idle.

I've run into this before. Anybody else noticed AC fan is a puller mounted on the front of the condenser on 90-91 models? Just moves hot air around in a circle. Both fans should work more effeciently now.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Comment

seriously??? i wonder if thats a fluke wiring scenario... how odd. nice mod though!!
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

My gray car was the same way. Early examples seem to have a different bulkier AC fan than the later ones. And both of mine have been wired backwards. I don't know.
          Last edited by me109; 06-20-2021, 04:35 PM.
          1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Comment

Installed MX-3 GS rear lower tie bar. 40 minutes including setup and cleanup. Must have done something wrong to have it that easy...
            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
            ├┼┤
            2 4 R

Comment

Just ordered some Ksports. Never bought coilovers before. I'm excited!
              1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
              ├┼┤
              2 4 R

Comment

finally got a resonator im anxious to try out. next steps, rebuild the exhaust
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
                  Just ordered some Ksports. Never bought coilovers before. I'm excited!
                  i blew out two sets

good luck
                  sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                  92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                    finally got a resonator im anxious to try out. next steps, rebuild the exhaust
                    What resonator did you find?

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
                    i blew out two sets

good luck
                    What sets and how long ago?
                    1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                    ├┼┤
                    2 4 R

Comment

Nice and clean. My exhaust rattles my sanity to shreds on long journeys. And my neighbors hate me. But it is what it is for now. Really nice bead tho

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
                        What sets and how long ago?
                        the kontrol pro or whatever- bought a set for my gtr wagon in the initial group buy, the fronts blew out after a year or so and started leaking fluid. bought another set a year or so later for my zx2 and they were starting to leak when the car was totaled.

i haven't owned a bg in five years so maybe they've fixed the problems since then?
                        sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                        92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
                          the kontrol pro or whatever- bought a set for my gtr wagon in the initial group buy, the fronts blew out after a year or so and started leaking fluid. bought another set a year or so later for my zx2 and they were starting to leak when the car was totaled.

i haven't owned a bg in five years so maybe they've fixed the problems since then?

We'll see. I got the asphalt rally ones. Maybe the inverted monotubes are better. I'll post updates here.
                          1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                          ├┼┤
                          2 4 R

Comment

Found a shockingly clean 94 EGT in my local Pull-A-Part. Took its seats and door cards. Got the seats installed last night.

It's automatic, but still has a fairly complete looking BP in it. In eastern Tennessee.

Couple cars down was an 01 ZX-2 that looked to be in great condition. I took its front lower tie bar, and didn't see anything else missing... I think both cars even still had all their wheels.
                            Last edited by me109; 07-20-2021, 06:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the ZX-2.
                            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                            ├┼┤
                            2 4 R

Comment

Changed an axle. That resulted in a gear oil leak, so I pulled it out and changed the seal. That resulted in a much worse leak. Went from dripping to pouring.

So I'm in the market for a Kia G-series as soon as I can get one.

Edit:
                              So I think I solved it. The seal is probably good and fine, but the axle popped out of the diff. It still gets driven, but all the oil pisses out real quick. Stupid circlip retainer. Either they weld themselves in forever, or they don't work at all...
                              Last edited by me109; 07-29-2021, 04:02 PM. Reason: Probable diagnosis.
                              1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                              ├┼┤
                              2 4 R

Comment

Well. Just like that it's over.
                                Attached Files
                                1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                                ├┼┤
                                2 4 R

Comment

Working...
                                X