Fmic piping question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fmic piping question

A lot of ppl with turbo protégés since doing the swap in 2002. I've read through the inter cooler details pages but haven't seen the answer to my question so I'll ask.. What are you guys using from the charge side of the gtx turbo? I'm going to pick up a universal kit, and I've seen pics of people's kits, but would like to figure out what flange adapter I need to make a regular 2.5 inch circle. Curious as to what everyone has used coming off the turbo headed to the passenger side of the intercooler. Thanks
    1994 Mazda Protege GTX

1990 Mazda Familia GTX BPT engine swap
    Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    ACT high performance street cluctch kit
    Arospeed coilovers
    Custom clear corners
    Custom side markers
    Custom MazdaSpeed windshield logo
    TurboXS boost controller
    1990 Mazda Familia GTX Front bumper
    NGK 1 step colder spark plugs
    Accel performance wires

Future Plans:

Rims, sideskirts, front mount intercooler conversion, GTR turbo, turbo timer, and paint.

2" piping should be used from the turbo to the intercooler. you can either build yourself a flange. or maybe convince rocketman to make a cast AL adapter piece for you.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Oh 2 inch eh? I was curious to see if one of those bov flanges would work, look like the same connection, probably too hot tho? How would one go about making a flange? Or how do I get ahold of this rocket man guy. Wish it would just bolt right up like the other guys pics, they prob have different turbos. Changing the clutch and since I've got things apart it got me thinking about fmic, especially since there are many options available these days, unlike back in 03.
      1994 Mazda Protege GTX

Walbro 255lph fuel pump
      Arospeed coilovers
      Custom clear corners
      Custom side markers
      TurboXS boost controller
      Accel performance wires

Future Plans:

Rims, sideskirts, front mount intercooler conversion, GTR turbo, turbo timer, and paint.

Comment

VJ-20 outlet flange alternative.

Napa P/N:: 31926 $8.33. Fits just a bit tight around studs. Needed minimal filing on the outside edges of the stud holes to fit well.

I agree with 2" piping, I used the Napa flange and did a pie cut outlet pipe (to clear the OE rad/lower hose) til it came to the bend around the rad support, I went with 2.5" from there on and it was a tight fit, but worked fine. You just have to trim the edge for the fender pocket (you'll see what I mean when the time comes lol).

I'm gathering parts to re-do my FMIC piping to SS to it can be welded with ease and lower the costs as I can't find anyone to weld aluminum for a reasonable price lol. I'm using 2 U/J bends in 2.5" 304SS and a Forge BOV that uses a special coupler so no flanges have to be sourced/welded as well.

The inlet pipe was the easier part for me though, a 1.75-2.5" 45 degree coupler from Silicone intakes, and a 45 degree aluminum bend to the airflow meter. Some say you don't need a slim fan, but I ran one on the other side of the rad to help with room. It's VERY loud haha, turbo is louder than my exhaust.
        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

thank you so much! Ill try to get some pics up of the project. lol that's awesome that your turbo is louder than exhaust I bet it sounds good. Right on, well i'll pick up a 2 inch kit then and get some couplers. It's good to be back on the forums, its been way too long lol. Thanks again
          1994 Mazda Protege GTX

Walbro 255lph fuel pump
          Arospeed coilovers
          Custom clear corners
          Custom side markers
          TurboXS boost controller
          Accel performance wires

Future Plans:

Comment

I've also heard that using an atmospheric release bov isn't good because its releasing metered air. I'm hoping to get one with a coupler and put it between the ic and throttle body. Your thoughts on releasing bovs?
            1994 Mazda Protege GTX

Walbro 255lph fuel pump
            Arospeed coilovers
            Custom clear corners
            Custom side markers
            TurboXS boost controller
            Accel performance wires

Future Plans:

Comment

You are correct. You will get fuel for the metered air released by the bov if it is not recirculated. There are ways to compensate for it but they are still just band aids

Sent from my iPhone5
              using Tapatalk

Comment

Those type 2 sqv ones look like they have a fitting to use it as a recirculating? I guess some guys had that style, but maybe they've done other things to compensate. Well if that sqv won't work I guess it's sticking with the stock one
                1994 Mazda Protege GTX

Walbro 255lph fuel pump
                Arospeed coilovers
                Custom clear corners
                Custom side markers
                TurboXS boost controller
                Accel performance wires

Future Plans:

Comment

I've ran both recirc and vented...the only difference I noticed was the valve I had recirc'd would leak slightly, which would put pressurized air back into the inlet to help spool (like you need help with a VJ20 lol). I honestly didn't notice any other issues though.
                  -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I can make you a VJ20 outlet adapter. I have the measurements someone gave me on hand here to make one. It'll be a little while though, I'll probably make them along with some VF11 inlet adapters for Azgtx
                    1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                    1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                    www.werbatfik.com

Comment

^ win
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                      X