Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MPV alternator thread (with pictures that aren't dead)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPV alternator thread (with pictures that aren't dead)

**** you'll need

*MPV alternator pre 2000 or so.

Either get OEM or a quality rebuild as a good deal of the cheaper re-manufactured ones aren't rated 90amps
    *MPV alternator bolt or equivalent (it's m10 1.25 x120mm or so)

I picked up a bosch unit, I trust them to not sell me garbage.
    You can buy from whatever company you want though.

Part number AL4214x for reference.

And a way to replace the pulley with your stock one.

That's it!

The factory 6-8 gauge is more than adequate for 90amps but if you're doing this you should replace it.

If your new alternator doesn't match up like so

You've failed, try again.
    Get good.

The reason you want the MPV alt over getting your old one rewound is **** like this

VS

Also note the baby sized terminal of the factory harness compared to the manly bolt on the MPV alt.

You need to reuse your V-belt pulley as well as the nut and/or washer combo that comes with it.

It's a 24mm, I didn't have one. And it's easier to bum standard sized sockets. So ask for 15/16.

The MPV pulley is a bit smaller than the factory pulley

But the outside diameter isn't what spins the belt, nor do I know the size of the MPV crank pulley or what RPM's any of this rubbish is designed around. Don't dwell on that nonsense though.

Still for the sake of completion

The MPV pulley is just shy of 65mm

The factory V-belt is 73mm.

You need to use this shim/spacer from your factory alternator on the new one. You'll probably need to pop it out with a flat head.

You should also give this plug gasket a new home if yours is missing it.

If you want to use the baby terminals from your stock alt you can.
    Just pop the cover off the side and move it to the new one.

I didn't do that.

I did however run the stock wire in parallel with the new 4 gauge.
    To get it to fit on the larger terminal I drilled it out a bit until it would easily slide on a bolt I had that was the same size as the new terminal.

Getting it in the engine bay is a bitch with a/c, power steering, cruise, 626 oil filter. I had to pull the passenger axle and jack up the engine to get it from underneath. Have fun.

The MPV alt bottom bolt goes in the opposite way.

It's a hell of a lot more convenient on this side, I'll kill myself before I try and remove it again though.

The terminal I had became to wide to get the shrink wrap I had over it, bring 0 gauge shrink wrap. I had to use tape like a homeless person. You should also test your terminals clamping strength. I attached mine to the strut top and gave it about 20-30lbs of pulling force.

Try not to suck like me.

I was also going to solder the exposed strands but my iron refused to heat up. I guess it died.

I taped the new and old wires together until the starter, that was enough for one day. You could zip them a few times and be happy as well.

I'm glad I ran my fog power from the fusebox.

Speaking of fuses, you "should" fuse your new line if you run it.

I didn't because I'm a dirt bag.

Make sure your battery light comes on before starting the car, if it doesn't you've **** up somewhere.

Check your normal idle voltage

Now turn everything electrical on. AC on 4, rear defrost, car audio to almost clipping on a bassy song, stop lights,high beams, fog lights and hazards.

Did your **** blow up?
    You ****ed something up.

This is my voltage reading with all the above on. While not 14v I can live with it.

My first normal night drive had good results much better headlight and a/c idle , but the real test will be my standard fun run which was what convinced me I needed moar power due to not being able to run sub/brights and fogs with out dangerous light flickering during heavy rpm changes and braking.

Another side note.
    The MPV alt on MY CAR does not seem to like to go as close to the block as the factory alt, I barely managed to get the stock belt around it. Also when it is tightened it sit at the middle of the adjustment range compared to the maxing out with a breaker bar that was standard for the factory alternator. With this in mind the idea of a slightly longer belt should be kept in mind. I don't think I would of managed to get a new factory length belt on had I been required to. Your mileage may vary in this aspect.
    Last edited by Kitty; 09-20-2014, 02:54 AM.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Nice write-up. Thanks.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

You have some nice tools. Thanks for the writeup.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
        You have some nice tools.
        Thanks for noticing, I'm at the point in my life I'd rather have reliability(sans my portable soldering iron apparently) and quality in the tools I use.

I do wish I would of sprang for the digital display caliper, but the current ones require me to be more accurate so I guess it's a good thing.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

I don't like digital calipers. Not sure why. They just bother me.
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
            I don't like digital calipers. Not sure why. They just bother me.
            If they aren't $150+ they're usually horrible to use.
            We had some garbage ones at work we HAD to use for a maintenance check and you could measure the same thing three different times and get three different results.
            Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

I'm about to buy one of these alts today. Nothing but bad luck with autozone and eBay alts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              My car is a Vazondissan. Part Nissan. Part Mazda. Part Ford. Part VW. Part Honda.

1993 Protege - DX with LX upgrades. Still rockin' the SOHC. Custom HID headlight Retrofit.

2009 Mazda 3 - Finacee Car. No power nothing. About to trade in for a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport.

Install Shifter Bushings: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...491#post646491

Custom HID's: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...&highlight=hid

Comment

What engine MPV, or just any MPV Pre-2000?

Comment

The v6. I honestly think it only had one engine option in the US.
                  Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Early ones could get a Mitsubishi 2.6, but I don't know how long that lasted.
                    1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                    ├┼┤
                    2 4 R

Comment

Are you thinking of the B2600?
                      Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Nope. The van could get the same engine for a while early on.
                        1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                        ├┼┤
                        2 4 R

Comment

91-2000 are all 3.0

Comment

every pre 2000 MPV alternator i search for online is rated at 70 amps, what exactly am i missing via finding the proper 90 amp alternator?

Comment

I literally gave you a part number.

Do I need to go to the store and buy it for you too?

Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Working...
                              X