Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting ready to jerk the head on GTX. Any pointers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting ready to jerk the head on GTX. Any pointers?

So I over heated the daily driver and blew a head gasket, and possibly much worse. I know to replace head bolts, and of course the gaskets, which I'll probably order from RockAuto. I'll probably do some cleaning too.
    I'd like to sell my BG's and upgrade my fleet so increasing value will be in the back of my mind. What do you like to see when you open a hood?
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

might as well do timing belt/water pump/cam and crank seals while you're in there.
    sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

I had the engine out less than 10K ago. I did the timing belt, idlers, water pump. Didn't change the rear main because I didn't think about it before I put the engine back in.
      I see on eBay that head studs are way more than head bolts. I'm not sure if I really see the advantage.
      I'm going to get the hood and heat shields off this weekend so I can see what I'm dealing with. I might also make a trip down to the machine shop. Magic Mike always has good advice for me when I'm taking on something new like this. I'm spending this time cleaning the garage and making space to work in. I hate being distracted by stupid crap that can be fixed with just a little effort.

Comment

*shrugs* I had way less than 10k on the GTR when the idler failed and took out the timing belt. you have to take the **** off anyway, it's cheap insurance.

I'd have suggested studs instead of bolts until I looked them up, that's a huge price difference. with a baby turbo and an engine with a factory MLS HG I doubt they're worth it.
        sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
        92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Welcome to Miata Turbo, home to the largest turbo Mazda Miata MX-5 following and Turbo Kitten.

Link to another forum. hope it's cool.
          Thinking about upgrades while I have it apart.

Comment

Working...
          X