Correct AFM and Boost cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct AFM and Boost cut?

Search function brought up Bagel, so Im asking.

My car seems to run fine till it hits about 23 PSI (on spike), then slams me into the dash.

Before you wonder, the car is a 4WD Pro with a GTR engine fully built, GTR ECU, 460CC Injectors, 255L Fuel Pump, Apexi SAFC (Yes, I know, no need to point it out..) and an RX7 AD5 AFM.
    The car isn't fully dialed in, im only using the SAFC till I can pick up a Haltech. BUT, by wideband, the car still has plenty of fuel at 23PSI, which I can manipulate. Is it possible the AD5 AFM isn't the best fit for this setup? This is jasoncsprotege's old setup and hes had the same issue. Any ideas?
    Mazda
    1988 Black 323 GT
    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

GTR ECU doesn't have a boost cut...

what gear does it do this in?
    sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

That's what I thought...
      It will do it in any gear it can spike 23PSI.
      Mazda
      1988 Black 323 GT
      DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Also, anyone know why a Turbo II afm wouldn't be better then the Non Turbo variant (B code)?
        Mazda
        1988 Black 323 GT
        DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

My wagon would fall on its face if I hammer it in first because the turbo spools so fast it was jamming the AFM door open and just dumping fuel but that's the only gear it would do it in, I'm not sure that's a problem you'd have with a VJ23 though. Kinda curious why you're using an SAFC along with the GTR computer, you shouldn't need it with 460s.

I used B-code, U/K-hybrid, and finally settled on A-code in my car. B code didn't idle well and the spring was too weak under boost, U/K idled perfect but sucked under boost, A-code works nearly perfectly. I wonder if you have something wrong with your AFM?
          sigpic

Comment

I havnt dialed it in at all (afm). So I don't know if its too loose or tight. Also, this is a GT2854R now, but did it with a VF10. I will be dropping some 550cc's in it this week, so being able to dial it back or richen it up in certain rpm ranges would be nice.
            Mazda
            1988 Black 323 GT
            DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

hm, maybe take a shot at adjusting the AFM spring tension?

tbh you don't really need 550s if the Mazda FPR is 1:1 like the Ford one is, I'm solidly in the 10s at 2.5bar on an HY35...
              sigpic

Comment

Meh, its more of a "Future Plans" kind of upgrade. I like having the buffer to play with. Kind of why im using the SAFC until I can invest in a standalone, so I can pull or add fuel as needed for a smooth transition through the power band. Also going with a bit of a bigger turbo soon enough.
                Mazda
                1988 Black 323 GT
                DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Working...
                X