No announcement yet.

my lx rear disc swap .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok , you see this brake line in this pic of my car when I swaped over the rear drums to disc. Well on the top you see the brake line.
    -- Did you take the LX spindle with the brake lines all the way up to there?

[IMG]http://protosportracing.tr****.com/z/s/DSC00299.JPG[/IMG]

Or

Are you saying that the brake lines that you got with your LX spindle won't bolt up to that point on top.

I couldn't imagine why that would be, but just trying to clarify things.

photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

actually the brake line on the lx didn't look like that. The line came from underneath the rear suspension arm it didn't go up on a loop like that.

the brake line (steel) behind the disc caliper wont bolt on to the dx brake line (rubber)

yes it is a 91-94 protege lx where i got the disc from. I have installed everything the spindle ,suspension parts, but the only thing wont bolt right up was the brake bolt that connects the metal brake line to the rubber line........ n

Comment

Originally posted by 1ofdfew323
        actually the brake line on the lx didn't look like that. The line came from underneath the rear suspension arm it didn't go up on a loop like that.

the brake line (steel) behind the disc caliper wont bolt on to the dx brake line (rubber)

yes it is a 91-94 protege lx where i got the disc from. I have installed everything the spindle ,suspension parts, but the only thing wont bolt right up was the brake bolt that connects the metal brake line to the rubber line........ n
        can you take a photo.
        I was just outside working the red 323 that I sold to my friend. I think I saw the brake line that you are speaking off. Is it the one that connects at the strut, if so, You have to connect the lx brake line all the way in the back. It is like over the T-links and the screw on the back.

If you can take a pic that will work. Do you have a digi. if not , let me know.. I will shoot a shot of my 323 tomorrow

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

no i dont have a digi cam i had to borrow my friends but he aint here ( out of town) can u take a pic for me please cuz i want to install mine already but dont want to get stuck again. btw how much for ur lx brake kit? mine i bought it for $86 which was last december...

Comment

100 bucks for 2 spindles with everything on em including the lines.
            I have the front spindles also...

I will take a pic tomorrow

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

"For 1st and 2nd generation owners to swap their rear brakes to discs,
              the whole rear spindles as well as the actual brakes will have to be
              swapped. The brake hoses, parking brake cables, and the proportioning
              valve will have to be swapped also. The master cylinder does not have to
              be changed unless your car has an automatic transmission. It is also
              advisible to upgrade the front brakes to maintain brake balance. Only
              the front rotors and front calipers needs to be swapped. Cars that have
              4 wheel disc brakes have the larger front brakes. 1st generations that
              come with 4 wheel disc brakes are the LX, GT, and 4WD models. Only
              the 2nd generation ES's come with 4 wheel disc brakes."

"To swap to 4 wheel disk braks you will need to get the
              rotors, caliper, e-brake cable, spindle, and hub assemblies. You may also
              need a master cylinder or brake proportioning valve from a 4 disc brake
              car. 1st generation owners can swap to rear disc brakes, however the initial
              stopping power from 4 disc cars perform less than the rear drum ones!
              On the other hand, the advantage to the disc brakes are better cooling
              power and better brake modulation. Although the rear drum cars have
              better stopping power, brake fade maybe a problem after hard driving."
              Last edited by slinky; 08-05-2004, 11:10 AM.

Comment

i don't understand why you all do it part by part.... there's like 6-8 bolts and the whole rear sub-frame drops down. Grab the ebrake cable ends and Y connector and bam, you got all the parts you need. You may need the engine bay proportioning valve.

Then grab the front rotors and calipers and you have a full brake upgrade kit. The whole job can be done in an afternoon, or a day including running to the J/Y and getting the parts.

I know TheMAN has opposed this method, but it's the easiest.

Comment

Working...
                X