seized brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seized brakes

ok so i take my 90 es down the road yesterday and i go to stop and the pedal is hard to push. so i apply more pressure and the pedal gives to about half way. the car stops but the brakes are still stuck there. also similar thing happend when i pulled the ebrake. whats wrong

sounds like your calipers are siezing up on you. check your slide pins

also check to make sure your hose to the brake booster is good, if so do a check on the brake booster you may need to replace it.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

what are the slide pins.and how much do the brake boosters usually cost.

Comment

the slide pins are part of the calipers... if your unfamiliar with how to service your brakes please seek professional assistance as it can be your life @ stake.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

The slide pins are what your calipers ride on and allow them to move when you hit the brake pedal. Goto your local auto parts store and purchase some new calipers and pads. While your at it check the rotors for warpage and inspect the brake lines for damage.

Or better yet order new Calipers , pads , rotors , lines and brake fluid and overhaul the whole system. Then check the e-brake cables to make sure they are not siezed.
          Has this car been sitting for a long time in humid conditions?
          c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

The slides are circled in red. Also, make sure that the pins for the pads(green arrows), and the caliper pistons are not frozen.
            Last edited by Jho; 10-22-2006, 05:52 PM.

Comment

and if its stuck like hell and you just need to get it moved get a can of PB catalyst rust penetrant and nuke em, then take em with a hammer (gently!) or the end of a ratchet (something hard and metal). i had this happen on an old maxima i bought. . . after the above treatment it was fine.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by southerncross
                and if its stuck like hell and you just need to get it moved get a can of PB catalyst rust penetrant and nuke em, then take em with a hammer (gently!) or the end of a ratchet (something hard and metal). i had this happen on an old maxima i bought. . . after the above treatment it was fine.
                While that might work temporarily, the proper fix would be taking them apart and cleaning the rust off and lubing them up so that the brakes work efficiently and evenly.

Comment

actualy, the correct way would be to heat them & knock them out, then do as you said Jho

Comment

man my ebrake dont even work wtf is up with that??
                    Check out my vBPicGallery homies!

Comment

well if your calipers are siezed your ebrake wont work being that it uses the same brake as the rear brakes.
                      mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
                        actualy, the correct way would be to heat them & knock them out, then do as you said Jho
                        I'd be careful with heat though, unless you plan on rebuilding the calipers.

Comment

Originally posted by daze
                          man my ebrake dont even work wtf is up with that??
                          I dunno man, that sure is messed up!

Comment

When i 1st got my EGT the ebrake worked so well that half the time it'd never let go!
                            **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                            95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by purewhitemp5
                              The slide pins are what your calipers ride on and allow them to move when you hit the brake pedal. Goto your local auto parts store and purchase some new calipers and pads. While your at it check the rotors for warpage and inspect the brake lines for damage.

Or better yet order new Calipers , pads , rotors , lines and brake fluid and overhaul the whole system. Then check the e-brake cables to make sure they are not siezed.
                              Has this car been sitting for a long time in humid conditions?
                              its been sitting for 5 years in delaware. so i would say yea

Comment

Working...
                              X