A couple issues with a new-to-me BG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple issues with a new-to-me BG

So now that I've had the car a little while now, there's a few things I need to take care of. I tried searching around for similar issues, but I wasn't quite sure what to search for, outside of "clunk" or "noise" or something like that.

First thing, there's a clunk that I hear coming from the rear of the car occasionally, over larger bumps - seems to happen more during more intense suspension compression. It doesn't sound metallic like a loose exhaust pipe, more like something clunking around in the trunk. I thought maybe it was the spare, but I took it out and the noise didn't stop. I figure its got to be the suspension, but can't isolate it. Ideas?

The other thing just started happening (or maybe I just noticed) about 2 days ago. When I turn the steering wheel, there's a pretty loud squeaking noise - like rubber rubbing on metal type sound. I notice it also happens during suspension bound/rebound. Now, when I say it happens when I turn the wheel, I don't mean while driving around corners. It's while I'm physically moving the wheel one way or another, and its most noticable the slower I'm moving it. I stuck my head under the edge of the car while my friend moved the steering wheel back and forth, trying to see if I could tell where it was coming from. I touched a couple different parts, to see if I could feel vibration anywhere, and its not coming from the CV joint, but I could feel it through the lower control arm (I think that's what its called?), and I think maybe through the tie rod. I'm afraid I'm not too confident with my identification of various suspension parts - I hope I put in the right names here.

Tomorrow I'll take a picture or two and point out what I know about whats going on. Let me know any questions you've got, and I'll try to help narrow things down to figure this all out. Thanks so much to everyone that can help - I really do appreciate it.
    1990 Red NA6
    16.43@81mph
    15" Heliums | 195/50 ZE512's | 14° BTDC | DIY cowl induction | Front tower brace | BSP f/r subframe braces | Style bar | Redline Goods shift boot | Mazda6 shift knob | DIY mesh TSI's | Factory badging removed | JDM Roadster emblem | Pivot controller

sigpic

1991 Black BG LX
    Unknown
    16° BTDC | Cone filter | HID conversion | Tinted taillights

First problem. Start off by checking all your bushings in the rear. Also check your jack and make sure that's secured. Take a good look at your struts. If there's and type of fluid coming out that could be your problem. How old are the struts?

2nd problem. Your strut bearings might be on there way out.

I might be wrong on all counts but its a good place to start lookin. Good luck
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by zoomtictac
      So now that I've had the car a little while now, there's a few things I need to take care of. I tried searching around for similar issues, but I wasn't quite sure what to search for, outside of "clunk" or "noise" or something like that.

First thing, there's a clunk that I hear coming from the rear of the car occasionally, over larger bumps - seems to happen more during more intense suspension compression. It doesn't sound metallic like a loose exhaust pipe, more like something clunking around in the trunk. I thought maybe it was the spare, but I took it out and the noise didn't stop. I figure its got to be the suspension, but can't isolate it. Ideas?

The other thing just started happening (or maybe I just noticed) about 2 days ago. When I turn the steering wheel, there's a pretty loud squeaking noise - like rubber rubbing on metal type sound. I notice it also happens during suspension bound/rebound. Now, when I say it happens when I turn the wheel, I don't mean while driving around corners. It's while I'm physically moving the wheel one way or another, and its most noticable the slower I'm moving it. I stuck my head under the edge of the car while my friend moved the steering wheel back and forth, trying to see if I could tell where it was coming from. I touched a couple different parts, to see if I could feel vibration anywhere, and its not coming from the CV joint, but I could feel it through the lower control arm (I think that's what its called?), and I think maybe through the tie rod. I'm afraid I'm not too confident with my identification of various suspension parts - I hope I put in the right names here.

Tomorrow I'll take a picture or two and point out what I know about whats going on. Let me know any questions you've got, and I'll try to help narrow things down to figure this all out. Thanks so much to everyone that can help - I really do appreciate it.
      It is very common for the rear springs to break on BG's. I'd check those out.

Comment

Crap. I really hope its not broken springs - that would mean I have broken springs on BOTH of my Mazdas...

Oh, and sorry 'bout the lack of pictures, I've been spending the past few days moving to a new place.. I'm sure you guys uinderstand how that goes.
        1990 Red NA6
        16.43@81mph
        15" Heliums | 195/50 ZE512's | 14° BTDC | DIY cowl induction | Front tower brace | BSP f/r subframe braces | Style bar | Redline Goods shift boot | Mazda6 shift knob | DIY mesh TSI's | Factory badging removed | JDM Roadster emblem | Pivot controller

sigpic

1991 Black BG LX
        Unknown

Comment

I kinda need to clarify something - I was thinking about this post today as I was driving around, and remembered that I had written it such that it would sound like it was a singular "clunk" from time to time. This is true, but not the whole truth. On smaller bumps and imperfections in the road, there's a quieter clunking that happens in bursts, like tap-tap-tap-tap-tap (but clunk-type noises, not taps). This is originally why I thought it was the spare tire, because I figured it wasn't sitting flat, and was "see-sawing" quickly back and forth, providing a rapid fire clunking.

Again, its hard to explain, but I hope I'm doing well enough for someone to understand. I think I might take my camera with me tomorrow and see if I can capture the noises on some video. I know I can capture the squeaking from the front, but the clunk may be trickier - not sure if its loud enough for the camera to capture without filtering it out into the background.
          1990 Red NA6
          16.43@81mph

sigpic

1991 Black BG LX
          Unknown

Comment

check the rear sway bar end links, those break often too
            91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Originally posted by progt91
              check the rear sway bar end links, those break often too
              Well, you win the turkey - one broken, the other has a cracked bushing(I would imagine the clunking is the bar tapping against the car). Since I had 3 different noises that I was unsure of, I took it to Sears to take advantage of their fantastic free inspection, and they handed me a shopping list of everything the car - excuse me, the car's suspension - needed.

Both lower ball joints were loose. All 4 struts are shot (and one in the rear "appears" to be leaking), in addition to having ripped dust boots, bent bearing plates and worn bumpers. The left CV shaft was shot (which I was expecting, due to the clicking I had heard) with both boots torn and practically dry. He said he thought he might have heard a little noise from the right CV shaft, but couldn't be sure. Badly needed an alignment. *sigh*

So I thought for a moment about which of those things I would NOT like to do in my apartment complex's parking lot, and decided to have them do the ball joints and the left CV shaft, and then do an alignment. I figured when I replaced the struts and sway bar pieces, I would look into upgrading at the same time, so I decided to hold off on that for a bit. On the way home, I didn't hear a peep from the right CV, so I'm assuming its alright - although I did notice my lifters ticking, and wonder if that's what he was hearing.

After seeing the bill for parts and labor, I got a harsh reminder of why I do my own car work... :suckie:
              1990 Red NA6
              16.43@81mph

sigpic

1991 Black BG LX
              Unknown

Comment

After seeing the bill for parts and labor, I got a harsh reminder of why I do my own car work... :suckie:
                That is why I fix cars for a living.

As for struts, I recommend the popular choice, the ZX2 Tokico S/R's.

Comment

The noise from the front; I would start be checking the power steering belt. If it is loose tightened it. If it isn't loose check the fluid level and the color.
                  Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

Originally posted by 92_2_fast
                    The noise from the front; I would start be checking the power steering belt. If it is loose tightened it. If it isn't loose check the fluid level and the color.
                    Thanks for the help, but the problem's already been solved. Check 2 posts above yours.
                    1990 Red NA6
                    16.43@81mph

sigpic

1991 Black BG LX
                    Unknown

Comment

Working...
                    X