DX rear brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DX rear brakes

alright, I have crappy rear brakes, pads are good, and the ebrake works decent, takes about 1/2 a yank to kick in.... how in the world do I adjust these things? I searched and found all LX questions, with no answers to help with the rear drum brakes on the dx. I should be able to figure it out, being I work on cars from sun up till sundown, and sometimes into nightfall but I just aint seein it.
    -Donnie-

for tension? just like any other brake; there should be a wheel under the bleeder screw covered with a rubber plug. . . just like all other drums. im assuming that you are a mechanic since you work on cars all day. . . so you know not to make it too tight or you'll set your brakes on fire.
    sigpic

Comment

nope, not like that, my geo trackers the same way. Yer thinkin of the set up like the old fords and such had, and these dont have that. Professionally I work in a tire shop, but I've been workin on cars since I could turn a wrench, just everything was older stuff, once I get into 90and newer stuff I'm still learnin
      -Donnie-

Comment

If you have rear drum brakes, you have shoes, not pads.

How many clicks does the e-brake lever go up? Does it feel like there is slack in the handle, as if there is cable slack, or does it feel like the e-brake lever itself needs to be adjusted?

Either way, there is going to be a 10mm nut on the end of your cable as it meets the handle. I would only tighten this if there is slack in the cable itself. If it is the e-brake lever that is out of adjustment(shoe to drum clearance), there must be a star-wheel adjuster on each side that has to be tightened evenly.

Comment

Ya got me on the pad thing, I should know better, but I just always say pads no matter what.

its a shoe to drum clearance issue for sure, my rear brakes suck, i guess I'll have to take a closer look for that adjuster.
          -Donnie-

Comment

Originally posted by 94tege View Post
            Ya got me on the pad thing, I should know better, but I just always say pads no matter what.

its a shoe to drum clearance issue for sure, my rear brakes suck, i guess I'll have to take a closer look for that adjuster.
            Why do they suck, besides the obvious? Are your shoes worn out, are your drums worn?

Time for a rear disc swap.

I've never seen Protege rear drum brakes in person, but follow the e-brake cable, it will be connected to a lever. Follow the lever, and there should be some sort of adjuster.

Comment

drums seem fine, pads arent worn much cuase they barely grab, they just need adjusted but I just dont understand how to adjust them, they adjust the same as the g/f's geo tracker, however, I cant fidn its adjuster either.... I have no manual to tell me either, it should be obvious but I just cant find it.
              -Donnie-

Comment

Some cars with rear drum brakes are self adjusting. Like some of them adjust whenever you hit the brakes in reverse.

Comment

tried that, and also tried using ebrake while backing up.... nothing of that sort has worked....
                  -Donnie-

Comment

Originally posted by 94tege View Post
                    tried that, and also tried using ebrake while backing up.... nothing of that sort has worked....
                    Take a closer look for an adjuster. Let me know what you find.

Comment

DOH! I just remembered I have a Mitchell On-Demand System for imports....

it has all of the info one could ever need.

Seems as though adjusting the ebrake cable as you suggested is the proper way to do it. sounds like I need to tigthen it up so the lever clicks 5-7 times before locking the brakes.

Then it goes on to explain how to adjust pedal free play, and all that good stuff.
                      Last edited by 94tege; 12-09-2006, 09:37 PM.
                      -Donnie-

Comment

The rear brakes are self adjusting. This is done by the metal part that attaches to the parking brake, goes inside and attaches to both shoes. When the pads wear, the cylinder will expand more and the metal thing will lengten, using little teeth. You don't need to adjust them.

I have the same problem with my brakes, rears don't grab. I've changed the adjuster for another one that still has some teeth in it. I just need to bleed everything.

Adjusting the e-brake won't make your rear brakes grab better. You do it at the end when your braking system is to your taste. You adjust it to 8-10 clicks max.

Take apart the drum and observe, move things, you will most likely see by yourself.

Comment

Working...
                        X