disc conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disc conversion

I want swap out my drums on my dx to discs. I found a guy locally with a 94 Tracer LTS that he's parting out. From my search results I have noticed that it may be easier to swap out the whole rear subframe. I know I need e-brake cables as well. So just to be clear:

Disconnect lines
    dissconnect cables
    take out 4 bolts which hold the subframe in place (can I get pics of these bolts, cause the pics in the thread I was searching dont work)
    install and have fun

Am i right here?

Also is it really worth the conversion? And If I dont end up doing the brakes I can still throw on the lower tiebar correct?

Thanx in advance

Oh and btw despite my s/n I actually have a DX, I registered here before purchasing the car and the guy told me it was a DX, lol
    check out my worklog:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67527

I think you "should" also have the proportioning valve moved over as well!
    **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
    95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

oh yeah that too. So is it really worth it. I never did it on my mx-3 rs and I never had a problem stopping
      check out my worklog:

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXDOHC View Post
        oh yeah that too. So is it really worth it. I never did it on my mx-3 rs and I never had a problem stopping
        Not sure. My beater has drums in the rear and its not bad i guess. But my EGT has the full 4 disc package and its nice but once again i never really compared the same cars with this and that. I wouldn't kill yourself unless your getting a good deal and/or you have WAYYYYYY too much time on your hands. Ohhhhh also if your car is heavily modded i wouldn't trust drums to stop me quickly from high speed, etc!
        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

if you've done it to an RS its the same principle.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I havent added any mods yet since I just got the car on sunday, lol. I already have a pacesetter adjustable short shifter, but theres too much snow to put it on. In the near future I plan on doing a bp bead swap or possibly a bpt engine and trans swap. So yeah I will be upgrading the performance quite a bit. I am also intalling ST springs, struts, strutbars, and rear tiebar, to stiffen things up a bit.

As far as cost goes, I think he wanted $40 per side for brakes, but I might be able to score a deal if I get the whole subframe.
            check out my worklog:

Comment

grab the fronts as well. bigger.
              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXDOHC View Post
                I want swap out my drums on my dx to discs. I found a guy locally with a 94 Tracer LTS that he's parting out. From my search results I have noticed that it may be easier to swap out the whole rear subframe. I know I need e-brake cables as well. So just to be clear:

Disconnect lines
                dissconnect cables
                take out 4 bolts which hold the subframe in place (can I get pics of these bolts, cause the pics in the thread I was searching dont work)
                install and have fun

Am i right here?

Also is it really worth the conversion? And If I dont end up doing the brakes I can still throw on the lower tiebar correct?

Thanx in advance

Oh and btw despite my s/n I actually have a DX, I registered here before purchasing the car and the guy told me it was a DX, lol
                If you are expecting a big improvement in braking you are gonna be disappointed, the biggest advantage to disc versus drum is that discs are less prone to fade. Are you going to notice any difference in normal everyday driving? doubtful. If you are into track or hard driving then maybe it would be worth the hassle.

Of course there is always the visual factor, rear discs look cooler than drums.
                sigpic

Comment

Well regardless im going up there to get the lower tiebar cause I definately noticed a difference when I added that to my MX-3 RS. I will prolly grab all the brake stuff but it depends on if I have to sit in the snow or not, lol
                  check out my worklog:

Comment

Working...
                  X