Track days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track days...

Hey guys, I am looking for parts numbers on good pads for running track days...I hope to avoid ordering something out of the states and looking to get something local here, but it'd really help me if I had part numbers...

My car has full mx3 gs brakes on it...

Order some Hawk HPS pads off tire rack. Yeah, it is from the US but tire racks a pretty good company to deal with in my experience.
    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
    VF10 powered!
    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

There's a factory near of my home that do refurbished pad/clutch etc...He has all material you want. For 80$, my 323 GTR received new full carbon pads. Can block the 4 wheels @ 200km/h without too much pedal pressure, it's ridiculous for that price. All he need is old pads so he can re-use'em. He also do clutch with ferramic, pressure plates etc..
      -1993 Familia GT-R, 3" stainless exaust, 0.100" oversize Supertech pistons, ported and polished head, "hemi" style combustion chamber, Supertech 1mm oversize valves, megasquirt, 880cc low-z, MSD HVC, custom SS ramhorn turbo manifold, GT3076R ar.63, 25psi, 3" SS custom exhaust. Soon to be MS3X, COP and 28psi!
      -2008 Mitsubishi Evolution X MR, AEM turbo inlet system, 3" magnaflow exhaust.
      -2006 Pimped Grand Caravan 3.8L GT40...I'm kidding, it's stock

Comment

Originally posted by mazdasly75 View Post
        There's a factory near of my home that do refurbished pad/clutch etc...He has all material you want. For 80$, my 323 GTR received new full carbon pads. Can block the 4 wheels @ 200km/h without too much pedal pressure, it's ridiculous for that price. All he need is old pads so he can re-use'em. He also do clutch with ferramic, pressure plates etc..
        any contact info? website? sounds like a decent place...
        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Carbotech > HPS for reals.

MiataRoadster sells them, Bill's a great guy to do business with.
          sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
          92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

I am looking to get part number so I can try and get something locally... I don't tend to save a lot buying from below the boarder because I can't travel across to pick it up from the border... once you start shipping things across shipping gets expensive...

I really should just get my pass port so I can go across the line....

Comment

Hawk HPS pads were not good enough for me. But this track is known for being hard on brakes. I might be wrong, but if I remember correctly, Alex (Lex) also had fading issues with them. I've since switch to Carbotech pads and bigger brakes and I don't foresee any more issues.

--Ferdi
              If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
              -----
              Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
              Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
              Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

Porterfield R4, or R4E. /thread
                '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Hawk HPS = expensive street pads. not much dust, not much noise. but barely better than stock. a great money maker for Hawk.

Hawk HP+ (note the PLUS sign) = great street pads, good autoX pads, good for 2 or 3 laps at a track day. they have a threshold of 800°F, once they exceed that, they fall off and just boil your fluid and don't stop. a little more dust, and depending on the car, they can squeak (squeaking is generally harmonic oscillation, not direct noise).

Carbotech XP10/XP8 = phenomenally great stopping power, very high heat tolerance (1100°F +), they work phenomenally for track days, and great for autoX and street as well. However, they wear fairly quickly. and they make a lot of dust. I haven't noticed any more squealing than the HP+.

Porterfield R4/R4E are great pads, great initial bite and good modulation. I've no personal experience, but three friends with modded EVO's used them, and the pads wore quite fast. As in, one track day at Road America, and the pads were done. they were quite annoyed at that.

Raybestos ST-43/47 are, so far, the best pads than anyone I know of has used. Porterfield manufactures/sells them, they're like the next step up from the Porterfield name. I called them last week, and talked to them a bit, and instead of my Carbotech XP10/8 front/rear, I'll be using ST-45 front, and ST-43 rear.

Do not overlook your fluid. I think there's some Endless RF650 fluid right now that's pretty much the top of the line, but it's REALLY pricey. Motul RBF 600 is pretty good too. I tend to use ATE Super Blue (or amber) fluid, since friends and I get it for around 10 bucks a quart when we order in bulk. It's got dry boiling point of 536° and wet at 388°.

Also, consider brake ducting. I've been doing some research, and apparently it can reduce the brake temperatures by 200-300°F if done right. I'll be installing some ducting on my Corolla before the track day at BIR (Brainerd Int'l Raceway) this June 25.

--sarge
                  Last edited by SgtRauksauff; 06-06-2011, 02:40 PM.

Comment

They must not have been R4E. Mine are about due to be replaced. After like what, most of 4 or 5 rallies...

Though depending on the evo, evox weighs a freightrain more'n my car.
                    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

Adam ... I should give you my address in Blaine to use... and then I can go get them for you.

I am needing to order another ebay aluminum radiator for the Daily Driver, as I am havin over heating issue with it .

Actually its always had the over heating issue even after replacing everything .

The fan runs like it should .. but just doesnt seem to cool it down or even maintain it.

So am going to have to go across the border soon to pick it up.

Anyways the offer is there if you need to ship them to a spot in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
                        They must not have been R4E. Mine are about due to be replaced. After like what, most of 4 or 5 rallies...

Though depending on the evo, evox weighs a freightrain more'n my car.
                        this is true, they were modded evo 8s or 9s (10's are TANKS!!!) (450+whp), and they weigh around 3300lbs, with 18x9 wheels with r-comps on asphalt.

Ice racing/rallyXing/time trials this past winter, one of the guys had me drive his evo X, as my protege was even faster than his car. this particular day, I wasn't driving mine (previous night's shenannigans had toasted the cooling fan) so he had me ride for a couple laps, and then drive a couple. I didn't realize it at the time, but he'd had that sucker modified at AMS and was pushing 500+whp, with 280+ sharpened bolts per tire. Driving that car was riDICulously smile-causing. who cares if it was 3500lbs +!!!

--sarge

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info... I went with a set of Porterfield R4E's front and rear, a new set of Raybestos rotors and ATE super blue brake fluid...

Comment

Good plan. That combo oughtta work juuuuust fine. They take a bit to bed in, and they'll require pedal effort when they're cold, but they'll haul your ass down every time once you get some heat in em.

Comment

What Do you guys find works the best for bedding in the new pads and rotors? I started workin on the car on saterday but just managed to finish up everything tonight...

New pads, rotors installed.. flushed out the whole hydrolic system including the clutch.. Fresh oil change... Swapped out my battery box for a proper sealed moroso battery box.. Re did my battery wiring and installed a kill switch did a big one over on the car.... I am getting excited the weather is supposed to be really nice out..
                              Last edited by crazycanadian; 06-21-2011, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X