94 lx protege handling build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

94 lx protege handling build

Alright so i got a chunk of change. and a 94 mazda protege lx to spend it on,

im wanting to build this car up even though its an automatic for the time being to handle well, i live in an area with twisty ass roads and id just like to be able to enjoy it alittle better every time i go out,

i wanted to start with my brakes as there 261k miles old, and starting to show, i was thinking rebuild the calipers and flush the whole brake system with new fluid. and suspension just go with lotek shocks and struts and there springs for 259$, but my real question is how should i go with the brakes? is there any easy upgrades for them i should know about? i was also thinking about changing out some of the bushings as there worn out,,

i just need some ideas of what i should buy to get started

Decent pads, good rotors (or even cheap rotors), new fluid, and either rebuild, or get new calipers. That should take care of the brakes for a while. There are a few little upgrades, but I don't remember what they all are. Stock brakes are more than adequate anyway.

Any bushings you replace should contribute to improved handling. I would start with stabilizer bushings because they are very accessible and especially noticeable.

Most everyone will tell you to lower it. I like stock height. You may not. Your call on that.

The 5-speed swap will be the single biggest improvement to handling you can make. So much more fine control at every point through the corner. It will be a different, better car.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

i was planning on EBC greenstuff pads. and some slotted rotors and rebuild the calipers and call it done, i just didnt know if there was any easy caliper swaps i could do or what. the bushings i am having trouble finding atleast in silicone, and the 5speed swap i just cant do at the moment this is my only car and last time i did a 5 speed swap it was a nightmare so im hesitant to do another one,

i was planning to only lower it about 1.8 inches, not alot but my dad did some replacement quick shocks on the front and back and the car sits way high now, and it feels like a boat going around a corner.

Comment

Boxer4racing can order SuperPro bushings from austrailia. May take some time, but they should be available.

I don't know of any easy caliper swaps. Grease your parking brake actuators (on the rear calipers) so they're less likely to stick.
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Here is what I did for my brakes. http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...-Brake-Rebuild

I basically replaced everything. Calipers were cheap for me once you get your core charges back.
          1993 Mazda Protege LX All stock with 121,000 Miles

Comment

I would skip out on those Lotek struts and springs. I've heard they're junk. For a little bit more, you could buy some quality suspension bits with an established reputation. I had KYB GR2 (now called Excel-G) struts and H&R springs before switching to coilovers, and it was a nice combo. As far as brakes, I agree with the above opinions. I personally buy the cheapest blank rotors I can find, and spend the rest on decent pads/fluid. Don't waste your time/money with slotted rotors. All they do is eat the pads faster and provide less surface area for the pad to grip. If you've got it in the budget, buy some braided stainless steel brake lines as well.

Struts

Springs
            Last edited by ThatGreenBG; 09-23-2014, 05:34 PM.
            Team Fail Motorsports

That's just the nature of the beach.

Comment

buy 3rd gen Protege blank rotors, don't bother with slotted ****. rears can be upgraded to NB Miata Sport package stuff. EBC pads aren't especially great. Hawk HP+ are okay if you don't want to spend a lot of money, otherwise get Carbotechs or Porterfields. braided lines are pretty good.

+1 on KYB/H&R combo, they're probably the best non-coilover setup.
              sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
              92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

On mine, I just put on the monroe quick struts, not the eco ones. I wanted KYB, but monroe is on sale right now at buy 3 get one free. So I chose them. Being that I bought the car for 700 bucks, anything was better then what I had on there
                1993 Mazda Protege LX All stock with 121,000 Miles

Comment

I have brembo blanks and hawk hps pads and like them a lot!

Comment

Working...
                  X