BG Manual Rack&Pinion Int.Shaft/U-Joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BG Manual Rack&Pinion Int.Shaft/U-Joint

Does anyone know the length of the Intermediate Shaft/U-joint combo for a manual rack equipped 323/Protege?

I got a manual rack off a 91 323. They didn't send me a shaft/joint combo with the rack, but I use my P/S one anyway. When I looked through the dealer catalog, P/S and Manual U-joint/Int.shaft combos had the same part call-outs..

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180523_195839.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	1275197

Anyway, here is mine. The shaft/joint will actually reach both the steering column side, and the rack side, however they don't seat far enough in for my liking. I tried going half and half and the rack side needs to be seated all the way in. Doing this, I lose about maybe a little under half the full seated travel on the steering column side.

*4WD length won't help as it's a different part, need 2WD.
    Last edited by Cloud_Strife; 05-23-2018, 07:19 PM.
    1991 Protege LX 5MT, P/S, A/C, NOW Sun Roof!

Actually, if someone could nab me a picture of how far the intermediate shaft sinks into the steering column side (joint), that'd be awesome too..
    Last edited by Cloud_Strife; 05-24-2018, 02:01 AM.

Comment

So I might have answered my own question, but I'd still love a pic of how far the int. shaft sinks into the column side yoke/u-joint.

Been looking at multiple shaft/u-joint combos. Seems from rust, and external residue, the shaft on the steering column side only sinks in about how far mine does.

Still, I just would really like to see it in place though..

Comment

worst case scenario i think you can pull out the spline piece a bit & weld it at a set depth that works for you
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

for what it is worth, as far as the connection to the steer shaft, a manual rack bolted in on my 4x4 (in place of the PS rack). Of course the rack to body mount is different. I should have both manual & 4x4 PS pieces at work. I'll take pics next time, I'm at the shop. But, it will be awhile, I'll be out of town till after the holiday.

Comment

Ugh I wrote a reply but too lazy to write again lol.

Honestly a pic of how far it sinks in on both side would be awesome. b nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnn

Comment

So it looks like what happens is you slide the int.shaft/u joint on to the pinion side, then you slide it on the steering column side. Once it place, they basically "settle" into place. So I guess it doesn't matter. I was showing the entire white bar without any space after it.

Manual rack is now in!.. Now just gotta throw on outter rods...

Comment

Working...
              X