Knuckles for rack and brake swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knuckles for rack and brake swap.

I plan to depower the rack ffrom my Protege and use it in the 323. Its manual rack rattles and clanks more than I like.

I'm also transferring the Pro LX brakes.

Does it matter which knuckles I use? I imagine it's more to do with the rack than the brakes, but figured I'd ask here to be sure.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

if you want to use LX brakes, bolt the LX spindles on. they wont fit on 323 or DX spindles so the rack point is mute in this situation.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Comment

What do I need to know about the ebrake cables? The ends are different, and I'm thinking the Protege ones might be longer. Sorry for all these noob questions, but I've only had LXs and a 4wd before.

Aslo, what are people using for hatch struts?
        1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Comment

you an still find new hatch stuts i think (worth it IMHO) i remember buying a set from ebay
          disc e brake cables are different from drum. you'll need the right cables in accordance
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
            disc e brake cables are different from drum. you'll need the right cables in accordance
            Chassis length shouldn't be a problem then?
            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
            ├┼┤
            2 4 R

Comment

Nope LX or all-wheel drive are longer chassis so the cables are there for longer but only by a marginal couple inches there's a little bit of hanging down but nothing worth writing home about

Comment

Awesome! Thanks man.
                1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                ├┼┤
                2 4 R

Comment

no worries!

Comment

Got the knuckles all removed. Still one strut bolt stuck in one of the rears. That's a first for me... I'll have to drill it out, but then it's good to go.

I ordered new rear e-brake cables today. It was easier and probably better than taking the old ones off and reusing them.
                    1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                    ├┼┤
                    2 4 R

Comment

where did you order the cables from? cost? swapping to rear disc is on my to do list....

Comment

rockauto.com. About $35 each. Raybestos is the only brand they had.
                        1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                        ├┼┤
                        2 4 R

Comment

Ok, so SuperPro bushings.

I'm seeing SPF-1786K and SPF-1787K for TTL bushings. There is a note that says 'remove original shell for fitment'. Has anybody tried these in a BG? I see those numbers in the master list thread with a note about it being for an MX-3.

I contacted them about it, but received no response. Anybody have an idea what's going on here?
                          1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                          ├┼┤
                          2 4 R

Comment

Anybody know off hand how long a 323 inner tie rod is? I need to cut down some MX-3 ones soon.

My rack is depowered and ready for reassembly. Wondering if I should have it polished first.
                            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                            ├┼┤
                            2 4 R

Comment

From what I've gathered, the total track width difference is 30mm, so I'm thinking I should take 15mm off each side...
                              1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                              ├┼┤
                              2 4 R

Comment

Working...
                              X