Kev's '98 Protege Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mud Guards!

These got here yesterday, but I wasn't home to take pictures. So here they are now....

Wonder what's in here...

Rears too?!

Mounting kit and instructions for the front.

Mounting kit and instructions for the rear.

And the moment you've all been waiting for...

Not yet...

Okay, now!

Fronts on top, rears on bottom.
    Last edited by irishkev90; 02-15-2011, 07:33 AM.

Comment

install pics ASAP!!!
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

i want these so god damn badly, are they flexible.
        my car is just too low that it'll just cause em to scrape all over the place.
        | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

Got them installed this morning and took some pics, they're on my Facebook if anyone wants to see. They're not too good because the sun was so god damn bright today. I'll take some after work under a light or something and see if that helps.

They're about 3"-4" off the ground on my car. And they're not very flexible. I did manage to go through the touchless car wash at Hoffmans and over the speed bumps at McDonald's with scraping whatsoever.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Some pics of the mud guards installed. The far-away shot showing the whole car didn't come out so well, so I only have the close-ups at the moment. I'll try and take some more when I get a chance.

Front right.

Rear right.

Front left.

Rear left.

The right side ones seem to fit better than the left, hmm.

Also, I read here that Beerizfood used an F1 flywheel for a 1.6L Miata along with a Miata clutch disc and Spec pressure plate. He said the flywheel weighed 9.9 lbs.

Is there any other set-up I could use for my Z5/G-series combo? The lighter the set-up the better.

What about this? Miata F1 Stage 3 flywheel/clutch kit.
            Last edited by irishkev90; 02-18-2011, 09:19 AM.

Comment

*References at bottom.*

Well, I checked www.napaonline.com to compare the Miata and Protege flywheels. I used a 1998 Mazda Protege and all four (1990-1993) Mazda Miatas. They are the exact same thing. Here's some info:

Part number: NNC 50913
              Number of flywheel teeth: 112
              Number of flywheel to crankshaft mounting holes: 6
              Flywheel outer diameter: 11.366"
              Flywheel step: Flat

This information is identical between the Protege 1.5L and the Miata pages. Though, it does not state an engine for the Miata, which is why I used all four years. Doing some more research I found the Miata FAQ which states for 1990-1993 (no link to the 1991 model) that the engine was "1597cc (97 cubic in.)" or 1.6L.

Well that's it for the flywheel-to-engine problem, now for the clutch-to-transmission problem.

Did some more research on www.napaonline.com using a 1997 Kia Sephia and a 1992 Mazda Miata.

Let's start with the Miata information since the F1 kit comes with a Miata clutch.

Number of clutch disc splines: 22
              Disc hub inner diameter/input shaft size: 15/16"

Okay, so how's the Sephia measure up?

Number of clutch disc splines: 20(1.6L) / 22(1.8L)
              Disc hub inner diameter/input shaft size: 7/8"(1.6) / 15/16"(1.8L)

Good thing this is a BP(1.8L) transmission. Everything seems to match up.

Now that we know a 1.6L Miata flywheel will bolt to a 1.5L Protege crankshaft, and a 1.6L Miata clutch has the same spline count/inner diameter as a 1.8L Sephia, it should be safe to say that I can use the Miata F1 kit in my transmission swap.

Miata flywheel
              Protege flywheel
              Miata clutch
              Sephia clutch (1.6L)
              Sephia clutch (1.8L)
              Miata FAQ
              Miata F1 Stage 3 flywheel/clutch kit
              Last edited by irishkev90; 02-18-2011, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Looky what I got

Mounts, intermediate shaft, slave cylinder.

Driver's side axle.

Another mount.

Transmission!

Slave cylinder boot and shift fork thing boot are torn, so I'll probably get new ones. Otherwise everything looks to be in great shape.

Comment

follow MY how-to & fill those engine mounts
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

I just may do that. But I need the shift linkage! I realized I didn't have it after I posted those pics, haha.

Comment

im sure ull figure it out

Comment

Just ordered the Stage 3 clutch/flywheel kit. $37 shipping, damn.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
                          Just ordered the Stage 3 clutch/flywheel kit. $37 shipping, damn.
                          i hope you mean that in a good way, clutch plate and flywheel are really heavy, i think 37 is really good price for that

(coulda gone with the usps boxes, if it fits it ships... lol)
                          sigpic
                          96 protege dx - gone :'(
                          94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
                          02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
                          95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
                          I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
                          Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
                          Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
                          Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Comment

Haha, I don't think USPS was an option. Just UPS, and ground shipping was $36.60 or something like that for a 24 pound package.

Comment

Went to Advance Auto Parts and ordered a new clutch slave cylinder for $23, should be here in a few days. Also went to the Mazda dealership to order a new clutch release fork dust boot since I couldn't find it anywhere else. About $30 for the boot, should be here Thursday.

Mazda part number: JF01-16-214.

Comment

Looking for any suggestions or ideas to do before getting the transmission in the car. Any ideas, shout them out!

Deffinites:
                                1.6L Miata lightweight flywheel/clutch
                                New slave cylinder
                                New clutch fork boot
                                Clean up
                                Paint

Suggestions/Maybes/Ideas:
                                Filled mounts
                                LSD
                                5th gear swap
                                Short shifter

Anything else???