No announcement yet.

Kev's '98 Protege Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sweet! So what rotor/pad combo you going with?
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Don't forget that the dr front bearing will need to be replaced. Your calipers and rear sway will be shipped out this week
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Yes Ryan, the ball joints will be replaced.

Jack, I'll probably just go with some cheap stock replacements for now. When I get some money to upgrade them I will, but the whole buying a house thing is going to take a huge chunk of the budget for the car.

And Chris, I was going to ask you which one was going to need to be replaced, thanks for jumping in. And let me know how much for the calipers and sway bar and the money will be all yours.

Comment

Okay, so the whole getting a house thing didn't work out, damn mortgage people.

So, all the money is once again going towards the car. I'll have to order the LSD from Mfactory with new bearings and once the rest of the brake swap stuff gets here I'll be able to determine what to keep and what to replace. Still going with stock replacement parts when replacing anything. Remember, it's just a daily driven Z5, no racing or anything that requires high-end parts (though, it would be nice).

Also waiting on the shift linkage and pedal assembly, and I'll also need a shift boot and knob. There's a rattle coming from the exhaust in the back that I'll have to take a look at as well.

And of course the infamous rough idle. It's died on me four or five times in the past three months. The rpms would go extremely low, almost stall, and the battery light and CEL would flash. Then sometimes it would just die. The CEL never stays on though, just flashes, hmm.

Side note, are there any suspension bashing kits for these cars? Like Energy Suspension or anything like that? I've got some clunking coming from the front driver's side when going over small bumps, especially when the wheels are turned.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hmmm, Adobe Illustrator CS5 15 or MFactory LSD with new bearings?

Comment

Just ordered a new gauge cluster off eBay, hehehe....

Comment

mfactory LSD FTW!
                ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                What are you driving?

Comment

Haha, I'll probably get both. I found a tutorial online about making true, custom gauge faces. It was for a Miata, but it can't be that different...right? Hence the ordering a new cluster.

Comment

Link to said tutorial plz

Your boxes are in my car. Forgot to grab them yesterday but didn't today
                    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Linky linky...

http://www.revlimiter.net/mods/gauges.php

Haha, thanks Chris

Comment

Small update

Got my spare gauge cluster today and immediately tore it apart.

Snapped the metal pegs for the gas and temp gauges. Good thing this is only a spare.

Speedometer...

Tachometer...

Gas and temp...

This film seems to be what makes the odometer screen green when it lights up. At least I hope so...

Just need to take the speedometer and tachometer stop pegs out, scan the gauges, get Adobe Illustrator, and start customizing. :D Also got myself a new clutch master cylinder. Just needs some paint.

Comment

woot! time to order some LED's for those gauges now. usually there 194's and #74's in most clusters ive done
                          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                          What are you driving?

Comment

Why the LEDs? I'll be changing the color of the actual filters so no need for colored bulbs.

Also, my girlfriend got mad when I told her how long it would take me to swap all the stuff on my car. She says the car is "taking me away from her" even though she said she's proud of how much I know and doing the work myself. I don't get it.

Comment

women
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Mine said the same ****. Whats still around, her or the car? Lol
                                -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                                VF10 powered!
                                262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                                13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Working...
                                X