Kev's '98 Protege Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^epic win
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

So my dad suggests pulling the engine and trans together. Then sending the engine out to get "freshended up" while I'm doing the brakes and getting the transmission ready to swap in. Still need to swap the 5th gear and order the LSD. He said the engine would take a week or two to get redone.

Comment

I would, like your dad, reccommend pulling the engine and tranny together. But I wouldn't bother sending it out. I'd just regasket it, timing belt, water pump, and clean it with a pressure washer. It's a z5, I wouldn't put money into it. but the tranny I would deff take to a shop to get the LSD put in and maybe some new synchro's too along with the 5th gear.
        -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
        VF10 powered!
        262 Whp & 257 Wtq
        13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

if your gonna pull it. id just BP swap it. i have all the ODB2 BP stuff also. so you could do it, and be totally legal with emissions.
          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
          What are you driving?

Comment

Don't tempt me bro, haha.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Do it. You'll be so happy with the bp.
              -Steve

VF10 powered!
              262 Whp & 257 Wtq
              13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

If I could find one cheap enough. I think I'll just keep the Z5 for now though. Until I have money for a KL swap that is

Comment

if you're gonna KL down the road then why you spending all the money to swap now? If you're gonna regasket and freshen up the z5 you can do the BP for the same amount. Find a cheap junkyard bp and throw it in. drive down to florida and I'll give you a BP. lol
                  -Steve

VF10 powered!
                  262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                  13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

I'm just going to stick with what I've got for now. This car can't be down for too long, it's the only car I've got. I'll be using my dad's Ram 1500 to get back and forth to work everyday. God I hate spending money on that gas. Maybe I'll just buy a KL at some point and build that up over time while getting whatever else I need, then put that in. As for right now, the Z5 stays.

Side note: I ordered the MFactory LSD and differential bearings. $700 total, eek.

Comment

thats half the cost of the quaife............ so don't complain

PS you'll love it!
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Haha, I know it's cheap compared to the Quaife, I just don't have much money left in the bank now. No more overtime at work takes almost $100/week from the paycheck

I've read reviews that it takes some getting used to and one person said he had to relearn how to drive (Honda forum I think).

Comment

feel lucky. i only clear $150 a week total. lol. and have to spread it between all the car's.
                          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                          What are you driving?

Comment

$150 a week? ****, I feel rich, haha.

Should check my "Where's Waldo?" thread

Comment

Oh yes, you'll definitely have to relearn driving the car. it totally changes how it feels & handles dry/wet

Comment

I have a couple things to get used to then, haha. Main thing is going to be using the e-brake to park and taking it off when I go to leave. I always forget to take off the e-brake in my mom's Jetta and always wonder why it feels so slow backing out of the driveway... then it stalls, hahaha.

Comment

Working...
                                X