No announcement yet.

Kev's '98 Protege Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaned up the front knuckles and brake dust shields. No pics, but 95% of the rust is gone, some paint as well. Going to paint them tomorrow hopefully, if the weather is nice again. Also got my calipers and rear sway bar :D

Going to get new calipers and I also need the rear end links. Does anyone know if the front calipers for the ES are the same as the LX just mounted farther from the hub? That would save me time and money if they are the same since I replaced my front calipers not too long ago.

Comment

since u have calipers off take that opportunity to clean em well and paint em with caliper paint. even get em powdercoated.

i don't know about the states but usually here it's about 100$ to powdercoat all 4
      | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

When I replaced my front ones I painted them with caliper paint. That was about a year ago, and they still look brand new. I'll have to check to see if I can still use the LX calipers with the ES rotors, that way I would only need to do the rears.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Why not run the calipers I sent? That guy kept that car maintained well. Only reason he sold it has a popped motor
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I think just mostly to have everything new.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Got this email from Patrick at MFactory...

"Hi Kevin,

I have some unfortunate news regarding the G28 LSD that you have ordered. We were in the process of relocating the office and in that time, the moving company dropped a 2ton capacity pallet jack off the back of the truck's tailgate onto some of our boxes. Upon inspection we discovered that in those boxes, several of our LSDs were damaged.

This accident occurred a few days ago and we were scrambling to see if we could convince other dealers who ordered G28s to forward one of their LSDs to you instead. Unfortunately, they have all been either installed or in the process of installing them.

Due to the popularity of the G28, we're backordered until the 15th of May. Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this has caused."

Just my luck, hahaha.

Comment

If the caliper bracket (that holds the pads in) has 22-13 or 22-14 stamped on it, the caliper itself is the same, just the pad bracket is different. the 22-14 hold the larger rotor/pad combo for the LX

sorry about the LSD news .
                -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Thanks Jack, just checked the calipers Chris sent me, and the ones on the car. The ES calipers have a 14 bracket, and the LX (and assuming DX) have the 13 bracket. Guess I can't reuse my already painted one, oh well. Anyone want a set of painted calipers? Hahaha.

Comment

Painted the front knuckles and rear sway bar brackets.

Passenger side. Cleaned, no paint.

Driver side. Painted.

Just used some Duplicolor caliper paint since I had a can of it laying around. They're both painted now. No pics of the sway bar brackets, but whatever, you all know what they look like.

Comment

crappy luck with the Mfactory incident. they will sort it out tho. you'll be happy once it arrives
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Replaced the upstream O2 sensor. Hoping it fixes my crappy idle/random stalling.

Comment

New O2 sensor didn't change a thing. Going to try to clean the EGR and change the fuel filter and spark plugs. This is getting annoying.

Comment

Just ordered a bunch of stuff from Rockauto. Suspension bushings, ball joints and such. No progress with the misfiring crap either

edit: Just got my pedal assembly along with some extras

Pedal assembly, shift boot, shift knob and BP10 ECU. The boot, knob and ECU were freebies.

Just waiting for the linkage to get here now. Then I think I'll have most everything I need for the swap. Then the engine and transmission will be pulled and the engine and the 5-speed will be sent to the machine shop to get freshened up while I work on the brake swap. Things are coming together nicely. Slowly, but nicely.
                            Last edited by irishkev90; 05-04-2011, 12:17 PM.

Comment

put some compression into the BP. it certainly likes it min..9.5:1
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

If I had a BP, sure. But I don't.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

Working...
                                X