No announcement yet.

Kev's '98 Protege Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don't seem that hard to me. I was able to somewhat reshape them with a razor blade and triangular file. The white gear for the sensor might be harder, though.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

Got some more progress done. Bearings have been pressed onto the diff and the bolts are now red loctited in.

Also did some cleaning of the inside of the cases. They were mostly black to start with.
      Before:

After:

Did the same to the other half, but no before picture.

Also, can anyone help me with how these things should be oriented when the transmission is in neutral? I always think I have it right, then I go to shift it into third and it engages both third and first. I think a screw goes in the slot on the bottom one to keep it in place, so that just might be my problem.

Here's a pic of the gears engaged:

Time for a shower and lunch, it's fricken humid out
      Last edited by irishkev90; 06-09-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

in neutral all selector area should have all of the slots lined up, than you should have to tilt/roll (something like that) than move up or down to select 1-5 and r (works like like you shifting in the car "H" pattern)
        sigpic
        96 protege dx - gone :'(
        94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
        02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
        95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
        I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
        Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
        Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
        Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Comment

Are you talking about the selector gates under the ring gear? I know where neutral and all the gears are for that, I'm asking about the selector things on the shafts in the middle of that picture. Unless you're saying all those should be lined up when in neutral (which I think they should be).

Comment

run better lear lube that won't dirty your case............ or just run ATF. it'll be nice n shiny inside everytime
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Not sure what I'm going to run yet fluid wise. Kin of more focused on getting this thing back together and shifting gears without choosing two gears at once, sigh.

Comment

the notches pointed out here should all line up, there should be 3 shafts, all the shafts should have a notch on them, all of those should line up and that would be neutral, than to select a gear the metal chunk that sits lined up with the middle bar should swing side to side and than up or down (1st, 2nd, 5th, R) or just go up and down (3rd and 4th)

EDIT: now that i look at it i could be wrong, but this shouldn't be any different than the other transaxles i've taken apart
                EDIT2: also, a good way to see N is to position the shift forks so they are centered between all of the syncros. should be 2 sets sitting on both sides (cept R iirc) so in the other pic you have(where you can see both sets of gears), the right selector fork should come down a little, and the left one should come up
                Attached Files
                Last edited by bloodyspirit058; 06-09-2011, 01:06 PM.
                sigpic

Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel

Comment

Okay, that's what I thought. I had them all lined up before, then tried shifting to make sure and the notch that you boxed would always fall down and engage first gear while I was trying to get third. Then the forks get jammed and I have to take most of it back apart just to reset it. If I've got the time tomorrow I'll reset the gears again, put the case back on, screw in the bolts in the side of the case and see if that keeps things from jamming up. Thanks man

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

most of them are a pita to just play with, they jam and than wont slide, or return to N or anything the ones i had apart had been taken apart many many times before so it was a bit easier.
                    sigpic

Comment

Okay, got the transmission reset, put the case half back on, screws in the side, fifth gear, etc. It shifted fine through all the gears, so Now I've just got to get it sealed up and bolted together.

Also, I've got these two clips, but don't remember exactly where they go. Help a brotha out?

I'm thinking one clip goes on either 10 or 11 and the other on 3 or 4.

Comment

i know its not the best answer... but they pretty much go where you need them... i know there is a grounding strap that it supposed to bolt into 2 or 3... i broke the head off cause the bolts where so stuck, ended up making the hole bigger and put it in one of the tranny to engine bolts
                        sigpic

Comment

haha, I guess I'll just have to wait until everything's together and going in the car then. Thanks for the help though, haha.

Comment

i would offer to go out and look at mine right now, but i can already tell you i've ruined, misplaced, or moved them i'm pretty sure one sits like you said on 10 or 11 (i would guess more 10 for the o2 sensor. i'm guessing the other one is around 3 or 4 for the speedo wires, or whatever sensor sits on the bottom (its been a little bit since i've looked at the tranny sorry)
                            sigpic

Comment

haha, that's alright. I'll just have to take out whatever bolts I need to when I get it in the car and start hooking everything up. I need to start making a list of everything I've done and still have to do so I don't miss anything. I usually forget something and have to take it back apart to do whatever it was I forgot, haha. Don't really want to do that with this project. I am planning a custom fiberglass or maybe carbon fiber intake. Still figuring out how I'm going to do it, though.

Comment

10/3
                                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                                X