No announcement yet.

Kev's JDM 1997 Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started detailing the car around noon today. So far it's washed and clay barred. I also used an orbital buffer and some rubbing compound and then polish. All that took until 5:00 when I decided to clean up and go inside to eat. After dinner I need to wax it and clean the windows and wheels and it should be done. Then I can get to work on finishing up the airbox.

This is after washing and clay bar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1378417456120.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1237432

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1378417468593.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1237433

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Decided not to work on the airbox tonight. It's fully functional as is, just needs to be made to look nice. It was about 8:00 when I finally finished everything, which includes wash, clay, rubbing compound, polish, wax, windows. After I finished, I went to Advance Auto for some brighter headlight bulbs and city light bulbs. The previous owner had amber city lights and I wasn't a fan of that look. The headlights are SIGNIFICANTLY brighter, wow. I used Sylvania Silverstar Ultras and just regular bulbs for the city lights. After installing the lights I took a drive up through Lake George village where the classic/muscle car show, Adirondack Nationals, is taking place this weekend. Tons of nice cars. One Civic got pulled over and when I saw him after minutes later he was pulling into a parking lot with smoke pouring out his tailpipe, hehe. So I took a few "loser laps" up and down the main road through the village and on my way home I pulled into a parking lot for a couple photos.

Name:	999474_444024402378061_149089790_n.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1237434

Name:	1238002_444024425711392_1667214364_n.jpg
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1237435

Going up to the show very early tomorrow morning and plenty of photos will be taken.

Comment

car's looking great man!
        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Thanks! The paint feels smooth as glass and, if it makes sense, about six inches deep. Weird to explain, but that's the best I've got. After looking at some of the cars at the show today, I was surprised at how many still had buffing marks or wax residue on the paint. I see none on my car and it wasn't even in the show, haha.

On the way home a bunch people wanted me to, "Turn up the boost! Spin 'em! Light 'em up!" I don't think so. Oh, and I heard someone call it a Honda. I was ready to cut them. If you saw the Hondas that were there, you'd feel the same way.

Comment

Just ordered new outer tie rods and a ball joint (already replaced one). I really hope this eliminates the annoying clunking a get when turning the wheel.

Comment

check the strut bearings and mounts .. can be a clunk source there

Comment

I'll check those out if these parts don't fix it, thanks.

Finally finished with the lower portion of the airbox. It's not perfect, but It's good enough for me for now. I have my mounting hardware figured out and also where the IAT and breather ports will be located.

Name:	1231697_445419262238575_205690679_n.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1237452

Name:	1240457_445419215571913_89798909_n.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1237453

Name:	1186175_445416782238823_200161547_n.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1237454

Name:	1236976_445416818905486_1336816608_n.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1237455

Name:	1240388_445419178905250_1825302166_n.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1237456

I had to put an extension on the back of the upper portion because the box sits just a bit too far forward. It needs to be trimmed and reinforced and then it can be painted and I'll have a fully functioning intake system. Cutting a hole in the hood without ruining the paint will be a bit of a challenge, though.

Comment

damn close!!! good update man
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                  he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thank you!

I had it on the car for a couple minutes to make sure everything lined up before painting and while the engine was running I realized I get a low, droning resonance. Not sure how to get rid of that, but hopefully I won't hear it as much when actually driving.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Bad news. Just put it all together, mounted it in the bay and........ the hood doesn't close. The box is too tall. Took the upper portion off and the hood barely closes with just the lower box and filter. A shorter filter would work fine, but not sure where to get one of the same size.

Back to the drawing board.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

That sucks!! Hope you can figure it out...might be a good time to check out the autowreckers to see if you can find the filter you need (for reference LOL don't get a used filter)
                        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Haha, I wouldn't use a junkyard filter to run the car

I'm using a 2008 Elantra filter because it's almost exactly the right size. The only problem is the filter I got ($12 from Advance Auto, can't remember the brand) is two inches high, but K&N's filter for the Elantra is only one inch. I think the lower profile filter from K&N, along with minor airbox modifications, should be perfect. Besides that I have perfect clearance around the throttle body, distributor, etc. I do get an annoying droning/resonance, though, and was wondering if the Helmholtz thing on the BGs is a separate component that I might be able to utilize.

Comment

Oh, and I think I've decided on a nice copper for the calipers. I saw a car over the weekend painted in a Corvette copper (the car wasn't a Corvette and I can't remember the name of the color), and I thought that would look really nice as an accent color. Just not sure how it would look against the current "Sandalwood" color on the car.

Powder Coating Custom & Standard Colors In Stock, Shipped Same Day, Sold By the Pound In Any Quantity at All Powder Paints.

I was also thinking of getting a set of "Mazdaspeed" caliper decals, probably in silver.

Comment

Shave the inside of the box down so you can flip the filter upside down. Then you will be able to make a lid with quite a bit more headroom.
                              ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                              ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                              What are you driving?

Comment

I thought that too, but that will require reworking the box anyway.

Well today I decided to start rewiring the fog lights. I wired them up to come on with the city lights, for now. I want to wire the city lights to become DRLs and have them switch off when I turn the headlights on (thread here), but I'll need some help in figuring that out. I mainly wanted to get rid of that switch hanging under the dash and ended up getting rid of a lot of unnecessary wire.

I also cleaned up the wiring for the upgraded horn.

Before:

Name:	1231547_448036351976866_1781352782_n.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1237475

After:

Name:	1208540_448036371976864_1702792409_n.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1237476

I decided to utilize that little ground distribution strip since it had one slot open. Works perfectly and no more wires wrapped around a bolt. There are no photos of the fog light wiring and I'll admit that it's not perfect, but better than what there was. I'll eventually go in and redo it again a bit more professionally, but until them I'll live with the current setup.

Comment

Working...
                                X