No announcement yet.

Kev's JDM 1997 Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaned the garage in preparation for suspension work. I also have newlower control arm bushings and sway bar end links sitting downstairs. I'll replace that stuff too, since I'll be under there anyway.

Took the JBWeld blobs off the hood and now have three holes. Engine bay cooling vents? Hahaha.

Comment

pics or it didn't happen
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Monster truck time!

Click image for larger version

Name:	10488094_602542369859596_8184133692282528851_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	1238739

Name:	10511075_602542393192927_149523710256489170_n.jpg
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1238740

Name:	10505499_602542446526255_2897754561917016115_n.jpg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1238741

Name:	10393868_602542463192920_6053420087222849160_n.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1238742

I didn't take into account the stiffness of the springs when I adjusted the height. The front brake lines were a pain to hook up. The bracket they came with would have caused the line to rub on the wheel. So I cut it, bent it, and clamped it between the spindle and mounting point for the coilover. Holds the line in place perfectly. No such problem on the rear, the straight brackets worked much nicer. Wish they gave me four of those. No clearance issues and the ride much nicer than the GR2/RS*R combo that was on the car before. I have them set at 14 clicks, so a little on the soft side.

Front sway bar bushings need to be replaced, but that requires dropping the subframe because there's no way in hell I'm getting anything in there to unbolt the brackets.

Comment

Just for ****s and giggles, I calculated this thing's 0-60 mph time based on a rough 0-40 mph time (speed limit was 40 mph). Foot on brake, holding revs around 2,000rpm, shifted from first to second around 5,000rpm. I got about 8.4 seconds to 40 mph, so that gave me a calculated 0-60 mph time of around 12.6 seconds. Apparently a 1995 LX can get to 60 mph in 10.8 seconds, but I don't know if that's manual or auto.

Either way, the Challenger Hellcat will finish a quarter mile before I even get to 60 mph, hahaha.

Comment

I think my fastest to 60 mph in mine is 11 seconds, but that was back when I was having performance issues. It'll probably do it in 9.5 seconds now

Comment

Just for reference C&D tested the 95 es(g series trans) and got 8.9 0-60 and the quarter at 17@82

The BG got 8.8 0-60 and the quarter at 16.6@90(~){couldnt find pdf of this one)

A jeep grand Cherokee can do 0-60 in 7.

If you're not turbo charging this chassis you might as well not discuss engine related performance.
              Last edited by Kitty; 07-17-2014, 04:36 PM.
              Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
              kitty, you are a hilarious woman
              Originally posted by HopelessCow
              there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
              Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I guess. I was just curious. Wasn't bragging about anything. Turbocharging would be easier if it was BP-powered, but even then I might go a different route.

Anyway, I ordered an O2 sensor from rockauto. Packing list shows the correct part, but open the box and there's two Moog boxes. They sent me front and rear sway bar bushings for a Dodge Durango. Not even close, Rockauto. Not even close.
                Last edited by irishkev90; 07-17-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
                  Just for ****s and giggles, I calculated this thing's 0-60 mph time based on a rough 0-40 mph time (speed limit was 40 mph). Foot on brake, holding revs around 2,000rpm, shifted from first to second around 5,000rpm. I got about 8.4 seconds to 40 mph, so that gave me a calculated 0-60 mph time of around 12.6 seconds. Apparently a 1995 LX can get to 60 mph in 10.8 seconds, but I don't know if that's manual or auto.

Either way, the Challenger Hellcat will finish a quarter mile before I even get to 60 mph, hahaha.
                  Well at least you tried, I'm curious for the hell of it, but I'm afraid of pulling anything above 4k rpm for fear of simultaneous gasket failure everywhere on my 160k+ mile engine....

Comment

Those k sports are beautiful, and your car in general is catch! Just wish there was the availability of performance parts to match

Comment

Originally posted by GavGav View Post
                      Well at least you tried, I'm curious for the hell of it, but I'm afraid of pulling anything above 4k rpm for fear of simultaneous gasket failure everywhere on my 160k+ mile engine....
                      My winter car has over 180,000 miles and beat the hell out of it when I drive it. Haven't changed the oil in over a year either, hahaha. Still feels more powerful than the '97.
                      Originally posted by GavGav View Post
                      Those k sports are beautiful, and your car in general is catch! Just wish there was the availability of performance parts to match
                      Thanks! I'm cleaning it today. Already washed and clayed, currently taking a break before I finish waxing. Then the interior needs to be done and the Ksports need to be lowered a tad.

Comment

How much did those puppys run you shipped
                        sigpic

Comment

Just finished the car. Wash, clay, wax, windows, interior, vacuum, polished the door sills, and lowered the front 1.25 inches. Long day.

Oh! And the new O2 sensor did NOT solve my idle issue. Any ideas, guys? I'm running low on things to check/replace.

Originally posted by M323GTR View Post
                          How much did those puppys run you shipped
                          They were $950 shipped from JPMotorsports.

Comment

Thinking about redoing the sound system in this thing. I have Alpine Type-S stuff in the '98 and love the sound. For this one, I'd get Type-R along with a 10"sub with a custom box. Priced it out on Crutchfield for around $1,300. My PayPal Bill Me Later limit is $1,800. The temptation is strong.

Comment

Dooooooo it lol gotta have bump i miss mine ive been thinking real strong about a sub again
                              sigpic

Comment

I don't have a sub in either car. The 6x9s have some pretty good bass.

Comment

Working...
                                X