No announcement yet.

Kev's JDM 1997 Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I have today off from work, so hopefully I can get something car-related done today.

HTC Droid DNA

Edit: The papers came back today. I just got her registered and now waiting for the inspection. Then I can finally take her for a proper drive. I already know the axles need to be replaced, but that's it so far.
    Last edited by irishkev90; 08-07-2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Passed safety, but failed emissions. I took a short drive after the inspection and it was acting the same way my '98 did when the EGR valve was clogged up. So now I'm waiting the engine to cool down so I can take the valve off and clean it out. Should be the only problem.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Cleaned the EGR and throttle body. Drives much better, but idles about 250-300 rpm too high. When I got home I scanned it and I get a P0505 Idle Air Control code. Need to get this fixed so I can get my inspection sticker.

Actually, I might just throw the throttle body from my '98 on there and see what happens.

HTC Droid DNA

I also started the sticker removal process. The Mazdatech sticker was a pain in the ass for some reason, but they all came off. I can tell they've been on there forever because not only is the paint on the spoiler faded, giving me a ghosted Mazdaspeed, the window tint is also faded so I have ghosted DFWMazdas, Zoom-Zoom, etc. in my back window. Oh well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	282887_431112840335884_142248742_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1237165

Name:	1098445_431112877002547_2016253620_n.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1237166
        Last edited by irishkev90; 08-07-2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Swapped throttle bodies this morning and went for a drive. Still getting a P0505 code.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Check engine grounds

Sent from my iPhone5
            using Tapatalk

Comment

Passed emissions and officially inspected for a year. Cleaned the throttle body, IAC, EGR. I also noticed some oil in the distributor so I took that apart, cleaned it, new o-ring plus a little sealant for added leak proofing. Replaced the distributor cap and rotor and also replaced the spark plugs with NGK Laser Iridiums. Runs much smoother.

Now I'm trying to replace the axels and I'm stuck just like on my '98. Driver side axle is stuck in the transmission and the passenger side is stuck in the hub.

Taking a dinner break now and watching the Mazda GX cars at Road America. I think #00 is in the lead and #70 is a lap down.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Got the axles replaced as well as the passenger side ball joint. Driving feeling wasn't affected, but it's the peace of mind that matters. Outter tie rods need to be replaced, the boots are torn, and I'll probably do the driver side ball joint as well. Front driver side lugs probably need to be replaced as well. One of them is missing a section of threads and all four are difficult to thread the nuts on and off.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

do the lugs have grease on them?? yes grease not anti-seize crap
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                  he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

They had nothing on them. Could be the paint making it difficult, though. He painted the calipers while still on the car. The driver side rotor has so much paint on it that it's stuck to the hub. I'll hopefully be putting the ES brakes on it this winter, though.
                    Last edited by irishkev90; 08-12-2013, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Lug nut and studs should be dry. Try cleaning everything with some PB blaster and a metal scrubber. It's the hubcentric section that should only see grease or anti-seize (which has never let me down btw Ryan lol).
                      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

ugh. i dispise anti-seize- **** turns into a galling putty which retains metal fragments & is a cunt to clean up- off anything.
                        im a firm believer in high quality grease- in any of our northern climates.
                        i do not agree that lugnuts should be dry tho.
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I use antisieze on every fastener. I use the slightly more expensive nickel stuff to prevent any reaction with dissimilar metals. Yes, there is nickel in it, but the nickel particles are softer than steel. Grease is good for say the bolts that hold your strut to the spindle, where water, dirt, and heat won't get in, but I just use antisieze there too. I use it on my lug nuts as well, but I check the lug nut torque often.
                          sigpic
                          1992 Familia GT-X
                          1988 323 GTX
                          2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
                          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

I antiseize almost everything and I've never had a problem with anything coming loose.

Also, I think this photo would be better without my brother's truck in the background.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1376497570758.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1237210

Stickers are almost all gone, too. Just removed the TTL stickers on the rear doors. Just need to get rid of the Mazdaspeed on the hood and the Mazda Racing stickers on the front fenders. I think I'll remove the RSR badge under the tail light, as well.

HTC Droid DNA
                            Last edited by irishkev90; 08-14-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

More stickers removed. Just need to get rid of the Mazda Racing on the driver side fender and they'll all be gone. Then I can give her a nice bath.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1376585616985.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1237219

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

nice man! looking much cleaner!
                                -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Working...
                                X