Exhaust Questions - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Questions - Opinions?

i knew i had leaks in my exhaust cuz its been a lot louder than it had been especially under my seats. i just came from the exhaust shop and it wasn't just the resonator but the pipes leading to the muffler had holes in them too. they gave me 3 options and just wanted to hear you guys out.

option # 1. flange after the cat all the way to the flange before the muffler. $130.00

option # 2 flange after the cat all the way to a new stainless steel muffler $170.00

option # 3 is option # 2 but stainless steel all the way. $250.00

they are giving me the option to choose 1.75, 2.25 or 2.5 pipes.

oh and btw pls tell me what you think about the prices too. thanks
    Last edited by beetle_orange; 03-10-2005, 02:58 PM.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

no reactions?

Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.

Comment

option 2, option 3 if you dont mind spending more money for quality..

Id personally do option 3..as for size, if you have no plans for boost just do whatever factory size is.
      According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I've been looking into getting an exhaust for my car as well, but luckily my friend just bought a pipe bender and we're going to try to pull it off ourselves, i can get the piping cheap, so if it doesnt work out i won't lose much, just the time, and i'll have aheck of a time. Has anyone with an exhaust noticed any significant gains with their setup, and be willing to share what they have, or what would work best?

Mods:
        JDM Headlights + Corners
        JDM Tailights
        1st Gen LX Black Wheels
        Shaved Side Mouldings
        Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
        Cone Filter
        KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
        E-Bay front strut bar
        Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
        40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
        and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

Well I have a 3rd gen 1.6 and have cat back 2.5" custom piping with magnaflow SS muffler and did'nt notice anything worth bragging about.
          According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

what do the options include...crushed or mandrel bends? with those prices, it looks like crushed bends. w/ the 1.5L, i would go with the 2" if it was there. with the 1.5L just go with the 1.75" tubing, going bigger than 2" will probably hurt. but that's a good price for stainless, i would go for option #3. around here a custom exhaust is about $250 non-stainless crush bent tubing.

i personally have purchased 2.25" mandrel bends for my 1.8L swap, i'm just going to section the exhaust together. i figure the mandrel bends are worth welding together, rather than having crush bent tubing.
            Almost there

jdm tails... check
            jdm bumper... check
            ms lip... check
            ms grill... check
            ms sideskirts... check
            ms rear skirts... check
            ms spoiler... check
            ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
            Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

option 3 w/ 1.75 if you're not going to be rockin a BP anytime soon

Comment

thanks so much for the responses and they have been duly noted......

00ProDX, so i am basically doing what you are doing then. custom from the cat back. what is the stock piping in your protege? so from the exhaust manifold all the way to the cat yours is still stock?

i am looking at 2" (if available) or a 2.25 (in case i do put in a BP)
                Last edited by beetle_orange; 03-10-2005, 11:10 PM.

Mods:

Comment

Is the Z5 exhaust different from the BP? Martin would know, it's 2" w/ the BP, I know that much (or at least that's what the exhaust shop told me when I told them I wanted to go to 2").

Comment

Originally posted by 00ProDX
                    Well I have a 3rd gen 1.6 and have cat back 2.5" custom piping with magnaflow SS muffler and did'nt notice anything worth bragging about.
                    that's because you have a stock 1.6 ...

Get some Nitrous, or a turbo, and you should see a difference.

--------------------------------------------------------

As for the topic.

Well I choose option 3.

why - because I have been through 2 muffler set ups, that cost me 150.00 a pop with 2 different mufflers. The main reason for this was because the muffler piping was rusting out.
                    Now I would just get option 3 if I had the chance to because I would feel a bit more secure knowing it would last longer, assuming they put it together properly.
                    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

i am posting this just so others could have a reference in the future. i ended up paying $85. they changed the exhaust pipe after the cat but before the muffler. they also put in a new resonator. they also used 2" pipes. after weighing the pro's and cons of having a resonator i think the pro's of having one outweighed having without it.

the car sounds a LOT better now and runs a LOT smoother, i doubt because of the 2" pipes, but i think primarily because i dont have any more exhaust leaks.

Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by beetle_orange
                        i am posting this just so others could have a reference in the future. i ended up paying $85. they changed the exhaust pipe after the cat but before the muffler. they also put in a new resonator. they also used 2" pipes. after weighing the pro's and cons of having a resonator i think the pro's of having one outweighed having without it.

the car sounds a LOT better now and runs a LOT smoother, i doubt because of the 2" pipes, but i think primarily because i dont have any more exhaust leaks.

what does the resonator do? no one seems to be able to answer it for me. is it just to reduce sound for local noise ordinances?
                        I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                        |.....Overnight....................| ||
                        |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                        |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                        "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                        Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

it reduces sound, some people think it's an obstruction and reduces performance, but that's mostly bs, in a street car you're not going to see any gains by pulling the resonator, IMO it will just make it sound like a rice rocket.

Comment

if i didn't have a resonator it would be ungodly louder than it already is inside the car.
                            95 ES
                            05 S60R

Comment

Originally posted by goodorange
                              if i didn't have a resonator it would be ungodly louder than it already is inside the car.
                              I'm so glad that I left it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X